Tuesday, April 10, 2018

This is the first day of a new series...

I'm not sure how wide of an audience that this little blog gets, and I'm sure I've pushed more than a few people away with my love of all things VEGAN, so essentially I am going to write this for me. And if it helps, inspires, uplifts or motivates even one other person then that's a bonus.

Once upon a time long long ago in a far away land called Nanoose Bay, I started a blog series about a month-long fitness challenge that I wanted to embark upon and needed a way to keep myself accountable. I know! I thought to myself, I'll go public. And at first it was literally just my sister and the crickets that read it. And I don't think the crickets were really reading, they just rubbed their legs together mocking my pain. But, as time passed and my suffering became a form of entertainment for many women around the world, I managed to build a small, very authentic and warm community around me and even made some genuine real-world friends in the process. Two of which I just skyped with on the weekend, and many of whom I keep in touch with regularly though this magical app called What's App. Ain't technology grand?

There was something so genuine about the lot of us, sweating through these challenging workouts, trying to see if we could reach a month of consistency, showing up for ourselves by taking time to move our bodies. A month turned to three months, three months turn to five years and so on. But things changed. I moved away from that magical west coast island, I got tired of reporting on the same things over and over again and I stopped writing about that fitness routine.

But let me take you to a time before that. For years, I'd had a relationship with yoga. I practiced daily. I was devoted to it. I'm nothing if not loyal. But a neck injury stole my practice away in one fell swoop. I was lost amid a sea of trainers, workout videos, styles, and classes yet nothing fit me. I missed yoga. I then found something that I enjoyed almost as much as my beloved former practice and eventually, in time I came to love it and write about it beyond that initial  month-long challenge.

But like many things in life, my health changed yet again, that particular workout evolved in a way that no longer suited me, and it became obvious that our relationship had to come to an end. I did dip my toe into the water of another workout - which I still do on occasion but because of said health issue - that work out was too vigorous for me. If I did a full class, it would be the only thing I could do that day. It's as if I'm running on a consistently low battery or near-empty tank of gas. I needed to be extremely careful of where I placed my energy. As I was told by a lab tech yesterday - and I quote - I'm a middle agey lady. That's not a typo. She had an accent and it was adorable. And I thought --

Yeah, I am a middle agey lady. But should that stop me from working out, from living fully in my own body? Surely there had to be a workout that was just right for me, no?

I am happy to report that there is. A couple of friends turned me onto it last August and I haven't looked back. I have written about it once or twice on here. It's called LEK Fit and it was created by former dancer Lauren Kleban. But up until now, I've been pretty mum about my fitness practices for a myriad of reasons. Mainly because I thought I was kind of over writing about my workout, I did that for five years for crying out loud, but also out of some misguided loyalty to the old workout. But I'm ready now.

I want to share my passion for this incredible fitness instructor, for her amazing classes, and because I want to share my pain! Misery loves company people. Again, I don't expect that a lot of people are going to read this, but perhaps some day, 975 posts in, someone will want to try this workout and think, Hmm, I wonder if anyone else has done it and wonder what they thought of it. And they'll find me here and they can read about the classes that I loved loved loved, the classes that kicked my ass, and maybe share in a laugh or two along the way. It's about community baby - no matter the time or space you find it.

So without further adieu, allow me to introduce you to my new blog series...

LOVING LEK




To begin with, I am not a fitness expert. I have no expertise on the subject to speak of other than finding what works for my body and sharing that information here. I can't really tell you about Lauren because I don't know her, nor have I ever met her, and other than subscribing to her on demand workouts, I have no affiliation with her. (Read, she isn't sponsoring me to write about her)

What I can tell you is she's a boss! She knows her stuff. She's in command of her classes. And she's kinda badass. She almost always wears black. She's my people! She offers two kinds of classes that drop each week (on time and without fail, just sayin') one is a sculpt class and the other is called bounce, which is more cardio based and done on a trampoline. But if you don't have one, don't worry about it. Everything is modified so there is an instructor showing you how to perform the moves on the floor.

Why do I love it?  (I write this as a reminder to myself if I ever come back here looking for excuses to not work out one day.) It is the perfect hybrid of yoga and ballet and is its own thing really. I mean I can't hold postures for a long time because the stretch along my spine causes the muscles in my neck to seize. I can no longer stand on my head or do shoulder stands or even many poses that your grandmother could do, so yoga's out for me. I like ballet but I get a little bit bored standing at a bar doing all the ronde de jambes, and other leg things I simply can't pronounce. But I like the relaxation of yoga and the results of ballet. So was Lauren reading my mind when she created her series? Probably.

Still it's more than yoga and ballet. She incorporates bands (oh no, the dreaded bands... don't panic, she does them in a way that they don't slip and whack you in the face), weights, both standing legs (my fave fave fave) and legs on all fours. And works your whole body but each week she focuses on specific areas - for example this past week's class the one that dropped on Wednesday April 4th (4/4) focuses on the back, outer thighs, glutes and obliques and lemme tell you I feel it.

This is the class that made me want to start the series. So if you happen upon this post in 2020, look up the class that came out on 4/4/18 - it's soooooooooo dang good.

Here's the thing about the class. It starts off with classic Port de Bras arms and plies, then once your arms are good and warmed up she brings in the band. Now if you are familiar with my old blog, and the good old days on my other workout, you'll know that I HATED the band. Hated it with passion. But not with Lauren - I mean to tell you she works that band in such a way that it feels as good as using dumbbells or wrist weights. 

Back to this class though - you finish standing arms with bands then move into seated arms and holy crap do you feel it. But in a good way.

The reason that I can do her classes and not run out of gas is because she is entirely measured. Nothing is rushed. She has you perform each and every move with accountability. You're not struggling to keep up at a break-neck pace, sacrificing form for speed, no craning your neck to see the screen - why? Because she is an expert teacher who talks you though shit dude! She tells you how to do the move, shows you how to do the move, then has you stop for a moment, check your body against her body, and once you have it, she counts you down. No jumping to the next move without cluing you in. I mean who'd do that?

She does a lot of reps, slow and controlled exactly how I like it. You feel the burn and just when you think you're gonna die, that she is in fact trying to kill you with "death by leg-lift" she starts counting you down so you finish every rep of every move because Lauren makes you believe you can do it! Yesssss! It's so fucking awesome. I'm not even joking. You'll push yourself if you know you're near the end, right? I know I do.

But because of this pace, this control, this inclusion of the breath and reminder of proper form, AND the fact that she takes the time to cool your ass down at the end of class, you don't feel wiped, spent, pooped, drained, or begging for death. Well sometimes I beg for death. Her classes are hard. But they're super fun too. And something as simple as a thank you at the end of class goes a long way. When she's says thank you ladies - I call back, No! Thank you, Lauren. I'll see you tomorrow!

So on that note - Ima sign off here. But I want to leave you with this. I am so excited to share this new series with you. I won't write about every class, but I will share some of my older faves in case you're new and want to pick through the archives. Lauren keeps all of her classes up but there are organized in such a way that it's not overwhelming. Have a look...


Under My List - you can save all of your most favorite classes. It's where I keep pretty much EVERY class. Lol. Below that are the newest classes that have come down. There's a ton of other sections for you to have fun with as well.

Don't have a clue where to start? Start at Welcome to LEK where she walks/talks you though a class so you know what to expect when you're ready to jump in. Short on time, she has shorty classes too.

Exhausted from a day of work, kids, cleaning, cooking, life of a middle agey lady, Lauren will give you that much needed "me time" without burning your ass out. She'll add to your energy bank, trim your tummy, perk your bootie and sculpt your everything.

I love Lauren, I love LEK and I'm not afraid to sing it from the rooftops. For me, it's the workout of the future. Thanks for stopping by. You too crickets. I've missed you in the quiet of my little internet corner.

xo
Shan


13 comments:

  1. Oh Shan! I like your posts on becoming vegan! I’m never sure what to say? You have such a big heart! I wish I was more like you, tbh.

    I wish there was a support group for those of us that left the other Method. It’s so weird?
    I like that Lauren is low key. No two hour workouts, no diet advice etc. The price is a plus especially if you like to mix it up..get a little funky.
    I could never keep up on the trampoline. I must be jumping incorrectly? Or should I not care and just have fun?

    Looking forward to ALL your posts!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gia,
      You don't have to worry about what to say when it comes to being vegan, I am glad the posts touch you in some way and I hope they make you think too. I'm so very passionate about animals I just want to stick up for them you know?

      And I also want to stick up for people who get bullied and I want to speak out for things I believe in. I think it's why I want to talk about LEK Fit - it's fun, it's functional, it's accessible. And you do not have to keep up on the trampoline. In fact I think I might write about that next. Just do what you can - have fun with it, let yourself go and bounce like a kid! Or not. Just do sculpt. It's so affordable you can do only what you want.

      Thank you so much for reading and commenting and being in my little corner of the internet. I love that and hope some day we'll get to meet too.
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. Hi Shan,

    A couple of days ago I realized I hadn't checked back up on your blog in a while and I saw this whole fantastic journey you went on and I am so proud of you for speaking up for the voiceless. I am not a vegetarian (I was for many years) but your writings have affected me and I don't know in what way yet. But there is a vegan cleanse for chronic health that I have been meaning to try and this weekend I'm doing it.

    I am so excited for your new series too! As you might remember I reached out to you again after reading what you wrote about LEKfit in September. I didn't realize you were going through health issues too, I hope you are healing ok. I am so sorry. I am just starting getting back into my LEK workouts. The Lyme disease makes my immune system low and I had the flu for 5 weeks the worst I've had. And then I just had such a hard time getting back to movement. I started with these foam roller exercises that mostly help manage my pain.

    I love standing legs so much too, I was a danced

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi sorry everything froze up on me so I just published I hope it made sense I didn't even get to proofread.
    What I was saying is I was a dancer so I love that part of the movement. I have neck issues too and have a real hard time being on my hands and knees, any tips? I just modify everything to standing.

    Do you gravitate more to sculpt than bounce? I do bounce more often because I have gained so much weight these past few years, but am wondering if sculpt would be a better fit. Are you a member of the Facebook group? If not, I could share your series there if you would like.

    Just let me know.

    đŸ’–Erica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Erica,
      First of all thank you so much for your kind words regarding my vegan journey. It makes my heart full to think it has touched you in any way. The fact that you are considering a vegan cleanse is amazing. If there is anything I can do to help you along, please reach out. I love being a vegan so much and to encourage anyone along that path would be my privilege.

      Having a compromised immune system has to be so challenging, I can't imagine a five week flu, but it sounds as though you've beat it. I'm happy to hear that. Lyme disease is no joke, I have a close friend who has it and I have watched her overcome so much.

      Funny we have so much in common with our health - our necks, ugh. But I struggle less since switching to LEK and in fact her work has made me so much stronger. Being on all fours is tough. There are some tips that Lauren gives that I have found very helpful - using a weight under your hand can sometimes take the strain off the wrist. Making sure my elbows are soft is critical and makes a huge difference for me I've found. Doubling up on the mat under my knees works too. But she does do a lot of work standing up so you could choose to focus on those classes. The classes that use the slider generally keep you off your knees and you can as you said, always modify.

      I am a sculpter. I love it. Since getting the jumpsport rebounder I do more bounce than I ever have, but still gravitate toward the sculpt classes. I can sometimes suffer from inflammation from too much cardio. So bouncing really cuts that out.

      I would say use your own body as an experiment and track your results. Pick a week and do only sculpt or mostly sculpt - track your weight, measurements etc and take note of your overall feeling of wellbeing. Then the next week do the opposite - bounce all week and track. Check the results and compare.

      What is most important is how you feel. In addition to hypothyroidism I also have a heart arrhythmia and I find bounce very helpful with that, but too much bounce and I feel less energy than if I do more sculpt. Again, it's an experiment with my own body and I try to keep notes.

      I am not on facebook at all. But of course you can share this. It would be great to connect with other women who love the work out with LEK.

      Thanks for reaching out and keep in touch.

      Delete
    2. Wow thank you for such a thoughtful response. Your words and spirit are truly powerful. Thank you for you ur suggestions and I will keep in touch ☺️

      Delete
    3. I'm so happy, Erica. Thank you.
      xox

      Delete
  4. How I missed your workout posts!!! This morning, since I already knew there was a post I decided to go back to the ritual I used to follow when we were sharing a workout. Make some coffee, turn off my phone and read on... There is something about your writting that I find fascinating... how come you make reading about a workout so damm good?? It's like reading a suspense novel... your descriptions are so spot on!!!! How come you are not an editor at The New York Times??? I do love, love, love the non workout posts too, in fact the vegan posts were wonderful too and they struck a chord with me, so much so they are still on my mind. They did come at a terrible time for me.. you know how my January was.... but I managed to stay vegetarian for a month and apart from the fact that there was too much cheese, now I'm more concious about it and always try to make the veggie option. Your vegan posts never pushed me away... nothing could push me away from this space, as a will be in the future veggie/vegan I need time to process I need to try recipes ease into it... Getting there... As far as LEKfit goes, you know I left the method too for different reasons and similar reasons, I like Gia's idea for the support group LOL... I stayed on our second journey and I love it so much it's unreal... but I will try LEKfit because sometimes I need quiet more paused workouts, in fact I'm doing my free 7 days starting today. I did the arms workout that's on YouTube and WOA... I know what you mean when you say that just when you think you can do no more she starts to count down... I'll keep you posted!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is just so beautiful Natalia. You made me want to cry. Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful comment. And I love that you managed to be vegetarian for a whole month and that you're now considering veg options when you cook. That's a win in my book. Especially because I do know the absolute hell that was your January.
      I am so glad you love the fitness journey that you're on and that is what makes this space so special for me - we can all be doing different things and there's no judgement, no better than, no "only one way" to move your body.
      At the same time, I think it's really cool that you're giving LEK a try - she is very WOA! when it comes to the burn, but she delivers it in such a beautiful way. Lemme know how it goes.
      Big hugs

      Delete
  5. Great post. I love your fitness posts. I tried your second journey too and loved it, but found it bulking. I debulked again with the method and went back to second journey only to find it bulked me again. I have to admit, I gave LEKfit a go in there, and I was very sad as it did not work for my short, super prone to bulking legs. I would love to leave the method for good, but it still works. What I wish is that someone could figure out the secrets of that method and make something similar. Your advice on the cardio/sculpting ratio is good. I recently gave up dance cardio altogether and I'm amazed as my legs shrink before my eyes. Perhaps I needed just sculpt from Lauren. But I fear the other method is so perfectly designed for shorties like me that it is what it is for the moment. I am also curious about fitness/inflammation/blood sugar/cortisol for Indigenous folks, given our history of trauma, and the tendency to diabetes, what are ideal fitness methods? Love you! from your Indigenous Fitness Pal xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi gorgeous!
      I am sorry to hear that you had issues with bulking in your legs - that's a tough one for a lot of us. For me it's the old middle. If left to my own devices I'm like a typical Kookum - big soft centre and flat narrow bottom. Or like a marshmallow on toothpicks.
      I do find that I gain weight with too much cardio, I never thought about the blood sugar cortisol thing but it makes sense if we put too much stress on the body we create stress hormones which lead to weight gain.
      So precarious.
      I wonder if you could ask Lauren about leg bulking and what she would suggest. You can access her on her live feed on IG on Thursdays or even just leave a question on her page. They seem really good about answering questions.
      But listen, seriously. I think if the method is the thing that works for your body, do it. As long as you love it right? DB is honestly so fun and fantastic too but I just have too many health things going on to keep up with it as I mentioned in the post.
      But I still keep my subscription because I love love love Katia's arm sequences on her short private sculpt classes so for me it's worth it.
      I would say if you feel like dipping your toes into LEK again for a month or two - try avoiding the cardio and stick to sculpt and see what happens? I dunno - follow your spirit. It will never lead you astray.
      Big hugs.
      S

      Delete
  6. These classes sound perfect for you and perhaps they could be ok for me and my still-slightly-dodgy knee too. I get jealous when I see the types of moves she's doing on the intro video, it makes me wish I was able to do all this again and not fear my knee snapping again. I'm so pleased that you've found something that you love and I'm interested in hearing more so don't stop writing :-)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice,
      That's nice to hear. There is always room for modification in these classes. Plus on her site she has shorter workouts for just arms or standing legs or abs. There's lots for you to try. I'd say give the free week a go.
      Hope that knee gets feeling better.
      xo

      Delete