Friday, May 27, 2016

Please Weigh In...

Happy Friday, lovely readers.

Just a super quick post to get your opinions on the scale. Yes I am talking about the bathroom scale, the very device that has held the attention of women everywhere, often holding us hostage and making us do unthinkable things like eat purred sweet potato and a concoction called Choco-Chestnut pudding. Anyone remember those days?

In any case, as you know I have been trying to shed the last five pounds as thankfully everything over and above that has finally come off with the AHS. But the other day when I stepped on the scale and it had the nerve to say to me: Bitch PLEASE, one at a time! I was like whoa! What's going on here? How is it that I have suddenly shot up by seven pounds overnight, yet my trousers still fit? Something had to be amiss. 

Now I know Tracy Anderson asks us to step on the scale daily. This is especially helpful when we get to the maintenance phase because you can see if you're up by two or three pounds then course correct so you're never again in the unenviable position of having to shed ten or more pounds. But other schools of thought are no, never weigh in more than once a week or a couple of times a month. Obviously as women our weight is going to fluctuate around that time of the month as we retain water etc. but most of us have a general idea (or at least I hope we do) of our healthy weight set point and we can sort of float above or below that number by a few pounds without having to worry too much. 

So my first question is how often do you weigh in and what do you think is healthy or normal? I know there are going to be a few of you who have tossed the scale, never use it and just judge where you are by the fit of your clothing. I applaud you. I adore you. I will never be one of you. (sorry, not sorry?)

But my other question is a little more um... I dunno... odd maybe? And maybe you won't have the answer but I'd really like your thoughts, ideas and opinions on this.

So my mean scale that told me there were too many of us on it at one time (it didn't really, I was being funny, or at least I hope I was) did tell me that I'd put on all this extra weight. Then I stepped on it again and it told me I was a mere 4 pounds. Right... I wasn't even 4 pounds at birth, so I knew for sure my scale was having a nervous breakdown. Was I overworking her? Or were her batteries low? I don't know. But to be honest I have never really liked her because she has always told me I was "a little heavy". So what's a girl to do?

Why go out and get a new scale obviously. But I was sick to death of the ones that operate on battery because it's a pain to have to run around trying to locate the exact one for your scale (first world probs I know, don't judge) but I also don't want one that is going to read my BMI, body fat percentage, bone density, and keep track of today's weight compared to the last time I weighed in. Been there done that. How can a scale possibly know all of that crap anyway??

I just wanted a simple old school scale. So this is what I got.


It may not have been my wisest move as I can barely read the numbers on it. Oh the joys of middle age - your waist expands, your hair greys, and your eyesight goes. Boo.

Anyway, my thought was that this is a similar scale to what you weigh your produce on at the supermarket right? Simple. Its only task is to judge weight, it doesn't require a battery and should last forever.

But I was nervous. So I did what any smart woman would do, I had my beloved, He Who Shall Not Be Named, test it out first! So he got on and he hated it immediately. First for the obvious reason that he could barely see the number. But secondly because it told him he had gained weight. I chimed in helpfully with: "well dear, you did eat an awful lot of toast yesterday." Funny, not as helpful as you'd think. Anyway, he got on the old digital one and it said that his weight was the same as it was the day before. Hmmm. Interesting. Was this new scale going to kick me off like the last one did? 

To my shock, it said that not only had I NOT gained 7 new pounds, but that I had in fact lost 4. WTF? That's a total difference of 11 pounds. What gives?

I had to test both scales out to see who was telling the truth. So I gathered my two sets of dumbells, my 2's and my 3's that by my calculations should add up to 10 pounds. I put them on the old scale and it read 10. I put them on the new scale and it read 10. So according to both scales, my dumbells have neither lost nor gained an ounce. Well good for them, all they ever do is workout anyway. Boring. Some of us need a life you know!

But what about me? Even though I'd love to just "believe" that I have lost a magical 4 pounds and now quite literally only have a pound to go, I don't feel like that in my body and there is a voice in my head that says the old scale knows better.

It's such a stupid conundrum that I feel like a bit of an idiot even coming here to ask, because I know you're all likely going to say, go with the new scale! It tells you what you want to hear. But when you have a problem and you go to your friends, do you go to the friend who will call it like it is and just give it to you straight or do you go to the one who sugar-coats it for you? Frankly I'm sugar free and don't even have friends who know HOW to sugar coat and that's just the way I like them. But I am at a loss. It really is stuck in my craw, under my skin, on my last nerve. I'm tempted to dismantle the old scale find the freaking battery and replace it just to settle this. Geez, maybe I should have just done that in the first place.

Please weigh in. Yes, I know that there are fires in Fort McMurray, there are refugees fleeing from Syria, slaves in Nigeria, garment workers in India that are forced to work in unsafe working conditions and a third of Canada's indigenous communities are under a boil water advisory because the water where they live is unsafe to drink. I know all that. This is entirely and wholly insignificant compared to all of that. Our world is a mess. I ask you to consider this (not real) problem I'm having in order to forget all of that, if even just for a moment.

Big hugs.
Shan



13 comments:

  1. Ah, the scale. My only thoughts as a former ED person, did you put the scales in the same spot on the bathroom floor? Is the floor perfectly level? Did you put more weight on one. Foot than the other? Yes, it makes a difference. Have you "evacuated"?
    Weigh yourself again at the same time tomorrow morning.
    Where you are in your cycle can make a difference too. Now that I'm over 40 I feel like I have two "good" weeks where I'm not bloated or irritable.

    Heh, after typing that out, I really was nuts. Don't feel badly about this being a "fluffy" concern. You've been working hard and trying to get your health back.

    I wouldn't let the scale "rule" you too much, though. See above LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to say you are not alone in your first world problems, thing. if it makes you feel better I've been in a funk since seeing what my legs looked like in shorts. Holy cellulite Batman! It's on the front of my thigh now. Then I feel like TA is a fraud, but then again I can't do the cardio bc of tendonitis, and I've not been completely dedicated to the Streaming. Jumping around everywhere...blah blah.
    I wish I could get to that mythical point where I go "F*ck it!" This is what I look like and I'm 43 and still chasing a bikini body and I'm just getting older so what's the point?
    Then I want to slap myself bc there is so much suffering in the world and I'm blessed in other areas,

    See? I am crazier than you! Feel better now? LoL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Gia, this scale conundrum has driven me a bit mad as now I am not sure what I weigh, but it begs the bigger question. Should it matter? Who gave the scale so much power? And I hear you about the :same location, did I evacuate, what time is it? Where is my cycle, how much does this hair clip weigh and did I have it in the last time I was on here? It's nuts!
      I think the idea should be to perhaps step away from the scale and see how I feel. How do my clothes feel on? etc.
      And shorts? Egad. I haven't dare try any on yet. so you're ahead of me there babe!
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. Well, before telling about your scale, I'm going to tell you about mine. My scale is mean, really mean.. Very difficult to please and sometimes I can feel it smiling when the news are bad...But it's got big digital numbers I can read without glasses. I weigh when I can feel the news won't be too bad. I'm not a weigh in everyday person, not even a weigh in weekly person but I can't put it away... I need it there...
    The first thing I thought when I looked at your scale was that the numbers were too tiny so if you already have problems with it can you imagine in 10 years time? I would try a third one, if you can return it that is... a third one or change the battery to the old one....
    The world is crazy Shan, crazier by the day... we are doing our best to make it better by caring, by trying to be more environmentaly concious but we still have our daily lives to take care of and to worry too... and scales are no laughing matter but remember they are mean ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omigod you make me laugh, Scales are meanies aren't they. Unless of course they tell you what you want to hear then they are the hero! That has so rarely happened since I crossed 30 you know? I do like your option of a third scale but perhaps new batteries would be the cheaper option since I cannot return the scale I just bought. Ugh. I hate not knowing what I really weigh, but like I asked Gia above, should it really matter? And why does it matter? I don't have the answer.
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. Hey girl! I found this to be such an interesting query. I don't weigh myself...It would make me the mayor of Crazytown. So I just don't. As such, I don't really have anything helpful to say. However, I asked my hubby (he's a sports medicine doctor - he's a smarty, and I thought he'd have some helpful information). This is what I gleaned from him over dinner last night:

    1. For sure check the batteries....especially with that 4lb reading;
    2. Household scales are generally known to have a margin of error of up to 6 pounds (so your old one might run the margin high, and the new one low ... thus the huge discrepancy);
    3. Best to pick one scale and stick with it....even if it's not right on the money for your exact weight the change up or down will be relative to which ever one you pick - thus you can accurately gauge increase, decrease, and stasis;
    4. Measuring small things are not what household things do best, so if you really wanted a test maybe something of 25/50 lbs would be a better indicator;
    5. He had all sorts of queries about exercise and sodium muscle pump and stuff.... I just sort of made up stuff (you're awesome, sugar is the devil, you're diet is bitchin'). And he thought 7 lbs would be unlikely so quickly, but a really solid muscle pump with a little salt on top could justify the swing, but it's a temporary one....(he swings about 4-5 with his muscle pumps). He he he...I just said muscle pump a whole lot.

    Anyhoo, that is was I discovered as I grilled him on scales last night. Don't know if any of that is helpful, but I figured I report my findings.

    xoxo,
    myla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, you want a trip to crazy town? It's my hometown baby! First, I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall at dinner. Your hubbie was probably like who is this nut you're talking to? But I appreciate that you both took all of this so seriously. While I love Natalia's idea of getting a third scale - a sort of ONE SCALE TO RULE THEM ALL kind of thing, the more economical option would be to do what hubbie said and get a new battery.
      I hate this margin of error business. Hate it. That is bang out of order. How dare they? I am going to rant on this for a while but won't do it here in writing. Suffice it to say there will be a lot of stomping around, hair pulling and there may even be tears.
      And what is a muscle pump? Is that like a breast pump when nursing? I suspect not. So is he saying like a hard core workout and a salty meal could result in the next day's weight going up so much??? I can see a guy swinging 4-5 pounds but lil old me by 7? That's like 2 or 3 pant sizes!
      Thank you for doing recon and reporting back, Sisters in arms!!!

      Delete
  5. I'm circling my house like a coyote waiting for my husband to get up so I can do all the noisy stuff. I'm so glad you posted, it gave me something to temporarily focus on. :)

    And let me tell you about muscle pump. SOOOOOOO...when you use your body (typically weighted toning/strengthening type of stuff...but really could be anything that is new and/or taxing) you get tiny micro tears in your muscles. Once healed, it increases tone and strength, but the in interim, which is usually a day of two, while it heals it floods with water to help the process. So it can be sizable, especially if it's big muscles like legs or back, or a combination of a lot of smaller ones. Add to that any water retained in your system due to hormonal changes or salt intake, and *BOOM* ... pounds of (water) weight. But it's temporary usually will flush our in a day or two. AND THEN, if you have any extra waste in your colon or bowel....just adds to that. All sort of stuff to make you hate your scale.

    Basically, Nate was all...on average, you can totally gain or lose a pound of two a day, but if you pop a crazy number and you haven't done anything extreme to warrant it (hot dog eating contest or running a triathlon, for example)....muscle pump, salt, hormones, etc., are most likely factoring in some way. He recommends doing the same healthy stuff as normal, try to get a good sweat, or even a epson salt bath (which I quite like), and hydrate a lot. And then reassess in a few day. Granted, these are averages, so someone with a thyroid issue or something like that would be an exception.

    YAY!!!! He just woke up! I have to go make some serious racket.

    xo,
    myla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so helpful and reassuring, thank you darling. And I was actually picturing you dancing (now that I've seen what a terrific dancer you are!) rather than circling like a coyote. A coyote is a bit too ratty of a canine to describe you, you're more sheen and glossy.
      Hope you have a great holiday Monday!

      Delete
  6. I've been experiencing crazy weight fluctuations too... Me thinks this is perimenopause...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you had any blood work? I thought I was headed there too but when my doc tested me she was like nope, you could still have a baby right now if you wanted. I was horrified at the thought lol. But hormones definitely had a role to play but more the insulin and adrenals than the estrogen etc.
      Worth checking out so you know.

      Delete
  7. No blood work yet, but thanks for the suggestion. I loathe going to the doctor so been diagnosing myself ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to go to, but sometimes it's better to know what you are dealing with. Good luck.

      Delete