Monday, May 16, 2016

Method to the Madness

Happy Monday. 
Can you even believe that May is halfway over already? Another two weeks and we are halfway through 2016. Yikes, time really does fly as we get older.

I know I was pretty discouraged in my last post and many of you reached out with such sage wisdom and warm support. I really appreciate you taking the time to share this journey with me. Since then some interesting things have happened. For one, the weight gained from the Indian dinner as since dispersed, yay! But the really big bonus is the difference in my measurements this week. 

Dr. Dave did warn me that this might be the case, we might not see the scale budge straight off the bat, but that if we stuck with the program, that stubborn abdominal fat would begin to go. Sure enough, I have lost 3/4 of an inch off my waist. Can I get an AMEN?


Praise be to Dr. Dave and THE ALWAYS HUNGRY SOLUTION!

I want to take this opportunity to share with you some things that Dr. Dave has written in the book at the end of Phase I and had I read all of this prior to writing my last post, I'm fairly certain that I might have been singing a different tune. Just goes to show that we cannot always know what is happening beneath the surface on the road to radiant health...

Here's what he says in summary. 

If you're like the majority of our pilot program participants you've lost between 1 and 5 lbs (it's been two weeks so far so that is a healthy and respectable rate of weight loss), but the amount doesn't much matter right now. With calorie restricted diets, weight loss occurs relatively easily for only a few weeks (and much of that is from body water or lean tissue rather than fat.) Then the real work starts as you struggle to keep the weight off. In contrast, the AHS becomes progressively easier with time. If in the last two weeks you've experienced decreased hunger, fewer cravings, longer lasting satiety after eating, or improved energy (and ideally, a combination of them), you can have confidence that the program is working from the inside out.

You hear that? I have had decreased hunger, fewer cravings and longer lasting satiety along with improved energy. It's working! And I lost 3/4 of an inch off my waist! It's working! My organs are feeling happier already.

And this is how I know he really loves me --

He writes: 
Embrace the Teaching Moment.
Nobody's perfect. There will inevitably be a time when you overindulge, eat too much of the wrong foods, and have a negative reaction.  (The man is talking directly to me! Hello Indian food.)  Perhaps you splurged at a party on cake and ice cream (I'd never do THAT Dr. Dave, my name is Shannon and I'm a sugar-holic, I don't participate in cake). Or maybe you grabbed a bagel for breakfast in a rush instead of something more balanced and nourishing. Soon thereafter, you might feel physically uncomfortable, experience a fall-off in energy level, become irritable, or maybe even develop a headache. A couple of hours later you might get excessively hungry and battle food cravings. (I remember having a Shamandment on my old blog that stated "carbs trigger sugar cravings" so avoid them. And by carbs I mean refined ones like white bread or pasta.) At these times it's important not to be too hard on yourself. (Another Shamandment, no being a hateful meanie to myself.) Don't engage in self-blame. Remember -- getting back on track is just one meal away. Instead of judging yourself severely, think of these small slips as natural experiments -- opportunities to learn about how your body responds to variations in food quality and discover more about what your body actually needs. With mindfulness, these teaching moments can be powerful guides on the path to optimal health.

I came to this conclusion on my own eventually, but could have avoided much heartache had I just read ahead in the book and trusted the plan.

Ha, another lesson learned just then. Have a great week and I'll look forward to chiming in soon with a post about WHEAT and a follow up to Phase II.

Big hugs,
Shan



 

6 comments:

  1. Yay! This was wonderful to read on a Monday! I KNEW you had this, see? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you did Gia! Thanks for keeping the faith sister!

      Delete
  2. Always! You inspire me with every blog post! XxOo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then it's settled, we inspire each other! xo

      Delete
  3. Heck yes Shan Masters!!! Sending a virtual squish and high fives a-go-go and an arm punch (my name is Myla and I'm a "shut up" - arm puncher). :)

    xo,
    myla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And I am not at all surprised. I am a "shut the eff up" arm/shoulder slapper!

      Delete