Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Phase II Wrap Up and Phase III Intro

How was your weekend? It was a long weekend here in Canada, what we call the May two-four and it's generally the weekend that suggests to Canadians nationwide that, regardless of what's happening with the weather -- rain or shine or snow -- this is the official kick-off to summer. For once the weather in Toronto cooperated and nature is in full bloom. Leaves sprung forth from nowhere, flowers shot up out of the earth, bumble bees have began the rounds and the birds are singing their tunes at the top of their little bird lungs. It's amazing. Did I say fall was my favorite season? I might have lied. 



I love these early warm pre-summer says before it gets so stinking hot you fear you might melt like a candle in an inferno.

Right enough about the weather, lets talk about burning fat.

If you've been following along, you know that I have embarked upon a dietary journey (I say dietary as I am not on a diet but rather attempting to make permanent lasting changes in the way I eat in order to achieve radiant health) put together by Dr. David Ludwig, lovingly referred to here as Dr. Dave, called The Always Hungry Solution. It's a plan to increase consumption of good healthy fats and lean protein, while limiting your intake of refined carbs (crap like cereal, bread, pasta and cake) to help your body shift from being a sugar burner to being a fat burner. If you want to get the full scoop, you can click on the tab above called My Solution and it's all there.

So in Phase one, I had some struggles with what the diet consisted of because many of the foods on the approved list caused inflammation in my body. Stuff like dairy and soy so off the top I was gaining weight like crazy. Once I got off that stuff and made the program my own, the added weight came off plus another couple of pounds. At the end of week two I'd lost 3/4 of an inch off my midsection which was a huge win for me. I have always had a thick waist and the second I gain any weight it goes straight to my belly.

Now here at the end of week three and the end of Phase 2, I don't have a whole heck of a lot to report. My weight is holding pretty steady, and there hasn't been any change in my waist or anywhere else on my body for that matter. While I do have another 5 or 6 pounds to shed, (those stubborn last ones are always the hardest) I'm not actually all that worried about it because something rather significant has taken place this past week. Today is 55 days sugar free AND I have PMS - yet I don't feel bloated, I don't have cravings and yesterday was the first day in practically forever that I did not even feel like snacking between meals. I ate until I was full, felt full for hours afterwards and was satisfied with what I'd eaten so snacking wasn't even on my mind. That has NEVER HAPPENED!

Thank you Dr. Dave for teaching me that fat is not only okay, it's good and healthy for me. While I'm still not sleeping fabulously, I am sleeping for longer stretches and feel more awake when I wake up. Additionally I am waking earlier naturally. It's so odd. This extra time in the morning is allowing me to get in a bit of meditation as well so I feel just generally better, more grounded and well.

Would you EVER expect side-effects such as these after three weeks of starting a new dietary program? Isn't it generally the opposite? You're bitchy and angry and craving everything in sight and while you may have lost ten pounds you are on the verge of a raging binge that keeps the good folks at Ben & Jerry's in business? Or is that just me?

So what's the plan for Phase III then? Apparently it's time to take off the training wheels.

It's about losing weight permanently. The proverbial maintenance phase that not one single diet I have ever been on has talked about. That's why I'm not calling this a Diet. See?

Phase III is about creating your own menu plan with the new skills you've learned and it's also about finding your individual tolerance level to processed carbs. Or that's the highly simplified version anyway. I am not there yet and not sure I will ever get there. First off because I have yet to reach my lower set point for weight, I need to stick with Phase II a little longer. So why am I making the jump into talking about a phase I'm not at yet? Because if you are on the program or have been following along, I thought you might be curious. 

So the question you need to ask yourself at the end of Phase II is: How well did I respond in Phase I without any starchy foods or added sugar? Have your hunger and food cravings increased with the addition of these foods in Phase II? If so, reduce or eliminate grains, potatoes and added sugar for a while and instead increase fat intake (nuts, olive oil etc) And make sure to have protein at every meal.

I did notice that without any unrefined carbs during Phase I, I had more snack attacks and sugar cravings. During Phase II if I had more than one serving of carbs in a day, I didn't feel great. So for example one day I had a gluten free brown rice tuna wrap at lunch and a serving of brown rice for dinner. I felt bloated and not great. But having say a salad with tuna at lunch then some rice or Quinoa at dinner was just right. It was my Goldilocks position. So the idea of adding in more carbs doesn't feel right for me. But let me explain Dr. Dave's thinking as I understand it.

He wants you to find out how you do with more carbs so that if you visit Paris you can enjoy a pastry or if you're out to dinner with friends at an Italian restaurant and want to enjoy a bowl of pasta you can.

Having done Dr. Junger's CLEAN program I know that I don't do well on wheat at all. Bread is out, I don't want pasta and I am a certified Sugar-holic so cookies, cakes, and pastries are not an option for me. I have no "off button" when it comes to these foods, so therefore I just say no. It's easier. Some people do well with moderation, others do well being abstemious. I am of the latter variety.

In any case the food ratios for Phase III look like this:


If you look back at Phase II you will see that your protein intake doesn't not change, just the percentages have shifted as you eat more of other foods. According to Dr. Dave (and I think this is particularly fascinating) the above proportions resemble those of the US diet in the mid-twentieth century, before the low-fat craze and it's similar to typical Mediterranean diets consumed today. With approximately equal contributions from fat and carbs, you do not have to restrict any major nutrient and can enjoy freedom in food choices.

So what's the plan moving forward? I know sugar and the sugar industry are evil so I am not even going to go there. Once I cross the 90 day sugar free mark, I may look at introducing some naturally sweetened foods, things like dates or maple syrup if a recipe calls for it for a special occasion. There is a great looking recipe for raw vegan brownies I'd love to try out. For a sneak peak, go here. If you are on the fence about kicking sugar I suggest that you watch THAT SUGAR FILM, it might help convince you.

I think wheat is also evil  (I know I have been promising a post on what I have learned but it's going to likely be a long one so I keep putting it off. I'm sorry, I suck) so I won't be having bread or pasta any time soon, but I also won't feel bad about having an egg on a piece of gluten free toast as a special treat. But this is not the sort of thing I'll have regularly. I think for the most part I will stick to what's been working this past week, for even though I've not seen a change in weight or measurement I feel good. (read: not a crazy person trying to decide what to eat and eating take out because I was too lazy to make something).

I know, it's not profound. It isn't entirely the outcome I'd hoped for 24 days into this, but at least I'm holding steady and that's new. Before Dr. Dave, I'd lose 2 pounds and gain 4, so this is progress. Take the tiny victories people, for they're the good stuff of life!

Big hugs.
Shan



8 comments:

  1. I'm so happy Shan!!! You got to the Diet Nirvana if we can call it a diet, you are at the stage where we all want to get and you should really celebrate this and give yourself a good hug for getting there...
    I'm stil struggling a little, because this cheese allowance has really sabotaged my getting to Nirvana, I knew that the cheese was stopping me for losing weight but the fact that it was allowed made me let loose and don't listen... I wish I had your strenght where you realise it's not working and you stop eating... I've been able to do it with sugar, with flour but man... I struggle with cheese... Why did the Brits have to invent Cheddar??? Or Stilton???? Please Sophie!!! Can you stop them? This is why I'm going back to Clean to get rid of this addiction... It's the only way... I need a diet that forbids the cheese, that says no, cheese is bad, not allowed... I can't do it by myself... Which is sad, and in fact makes me realize that I will never be able to have that pastry in Paris... I'm too wild, unstructured for that... But you rock sister!!!!! Well done!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Natalia, I do still have a ways to go and while I really limit dairy I do allow it if I have a desire for it. But for me cheese isn't a trigger the way sugar is. I know it can be so hard if you open the flood gate on your trigger food. So hopefully clean will get you on track but please remember to get enough fat and protein on Clean. Add coconut oil or nut butter or MCT oil to your am smoothie, get in that avocado at lunch and whatever you choose to eat for dinner add in that lean protein and healthy fat. This way it will keep you on track to being a fat burner and not a sugar burner. Good luck my darling.
      xoxoxo

      Delete
    2. Yes!!! I'm planning to do the Clean Program a la Ludwig style... Fewer carbs and more fat!!! makes it easier and as soon as I'm finished with Clean I will jump straight to phase 2... Muchas gracias !!!!

      Delete
    3. That's fantastic, I hope it goes smoothly for you. Nice that you'll have Sophie on your team as you go through it!

      Delete
  2. Shan,

    I'm so incredibly proud of you. Period. End of sentence. This is great work/stuff. (And the PMS symptoms, or lack thereof also rings true for me).

    I am so incredibly curious about if/when you eat something sweet how it tastes to you. That's what changed for me. I can't speak to cravings per se because I was never a true chocoholic....but the taste of sweet became profoundly apparent, which then changed my choices. Because crappy cake....is crappy cake. My husband and I profoundly disagree on this point. ;)

    xo,
    happy writing and happy trails,
    myla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed out loud about you and your beloved disagreeing. Yes I believe that sweet will be too sweet. Really at this point the one thing I truly miss is sugar in my tea. It just ain't the same without it, however after the 90 days I might try it and think it's awful, or get away with one raw cube instead of 3 or 4. It's exciting times and thank you so much for your support and enthusiasm.

      Delete
  3. Hi Shan,

    Sorry, I have been wanting to comment since I saw this post, but craaazzzzzyyy job at the mo.

    Well, this is truly fantastic news.
    As I believe,from where you are now, this is the foundation point of true health - and a truly healthy relationship with food.

    Amazing achievement my friend, and not an easy prize to win. I am so happy for you, as having been in that sweet spot before (not currently I might add) there is a calmness which comes with it.
    The stress eating, and sugar spikes disappear and leave behind a much more direct dialogue with your appetite, and isn't it amazing how much less you need to eat in order to feel satisfied.
    I am hoping that by the end of next week I'll be back heading in the right direction, but moving forward I know that the larger issue is dealing with stress, long hours etc, and not leaning into food as a crutch.

    Well done my friend, this is no small achievement but potentioaly a life changing shift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe it is a life-changing shift. I have truly never been here before. Even with Clean. This is the start of something that has even gotten me interested in being in the kitchen. I will never be the first to volunteer to cook or find the joy in it, but it's being on the right track,
      Good luck to you and keep me posted!!!!

      Delete