Monday, May 9, 2016

A Cinderella Story

Good Morning Noble Readers.

Please allow me to start this Monday on a grateful note. I'd like to just say thank you for allowing me to share this journey mucking around my mysterious mid-life as I make my way toward good health with you. It's much nicer to do it out here among friends rather than in dim dark solitude.

With that, allow me to present my musings on this Cinderella story. I have been reading one of my favorite authors, Lindsey Kelk and toward the end of her book "A Girl's Best Friend", the characters are dissecting the story of Cinderella.




I'll paraphrase but this is the gist of their conversation...

The first character laments on the state of her life which is disarray of course and she's wishing that she had a fairy Godmother. To which the other character replies that he 

"never much cared for Cinderella, she never had enough gumption for me."

The first character protests saying maybe not but she did end up marrying a prince.

This is where it gets good because the guy who doesn't care for Cinderella argues that while sure, she married the prince, she really didn't do much to help herself. 

"As soon as the magic wore off, she hotfooted it back to the kitchen without a second thought." And that's what this character in the book I'm reading could never understand.

The prince had already gotten down on one knee and professed his love. What stopped Cinder from explaining her situation? From being dead honest with him and saying: 'Look, shit's complicated, I'm like totally not a princess or anything so help a sister out would ya?' (this is me paraphrasing sorry Lindsey)

Did she not trust the prince? The love of her life?

The point is that things could have been different for her if she'd just explained her situation in the first place, because what would have happened if he'd have found another girl who had the same sized feet? "One minute she's the love of his life and the next he doesn't recognize her when she's staring him in the face." 

Who is this moron?

"She would have still been scrubbing floors if everyone else in the village hadn't been born with giant cloddhoppers. And all because she waited around for someone to save her."

Then they go on to dis the fairy Godmother for putting a glass shoe on a girl who runs around barefoot all day, one trip or slip and she slices her foot off. Geez. But that's not what we are concerned with here, we're concerned more with the passive princess.

I related to this because so many of us who have not been blessed or gifted with magic genetics are always looking for someone to come around and save us with the next "best diet" or quick fix. Yet we still literally want our cake and eat it too kind of thing. We want a fairy Godmother to take away our love handles and bat wings and giggly thighs when we can't be asked to actually get involved by paying attention to all the subtle and not so subtle ways our bodies are reacting to the foods we're feeding it. If we did, we'd start to understand that no "one" diet is going to the our glass slipper. 

Girls, we gotta make our own moccasins is what I'm saying.

As I am transitioning through week two of Dr. Dave's plan, The Always Hungry Solution, I have found that certain foods just don't work for me whether I like them or not. Just because they are listed on the menu does not make it okay for me to eat them if I want to stop the inflammatory response in my body. I have got to make smart choices and tailor food intake to my own biology. 

Not an easy task but I believe it will be worth it in the long run.

Just to keep you posted on what's happening, my girl Natalia lost 3.5 lbs on the program week one and my mamma lost 2, so this stuff works folks but again, we've got to be our own detectives. I chose to step on the scale today to measure my progress since gaining weight midway through last week and I was happy to report that after four days of cutting out the big things that were causing me issues, I have lost the bit I'd gained along with an additional 6 ounces. Not huge by any means, but progress is progress and I'm into celebrating the small victories of everyday life.

xoxo
Shan



3 comments:

  1. Shan, you are right, there is no magic pill, but each of us knowing ourselves and our own bodies. I wish tracy would come out with that tolerance food test she did a few years ago remember??? She said she took it and was going to come out with her own??? It was a simple blood analysis to met you know your food sensitivities? That would make life so much easier. Let me/us know if you find out anything

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tricia, I know of others who have done this as I wrote to you in my last comment but what I am coming to learn is that say for example you trigger on strawberries so you think - never going to eat strawberries again. But what if you actually have leaky gut? They you are going to trigger on all sorts of stuff that may not truly be a sensitivity for you. I think that if we can actually heal our guts over time, we would have a lot less sensitivities and then could just avoid the biggies like wheat and soy - the heavily GMO things on the market today.
      xo

      Delete
  2. You have performed a great job on this article.It’s very precise and highly qualitative. You have even managed to make it readable and easy to read. You have some real writing talent. Thank you so much. Cinderella Solution Review

    ReplyDelete