Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Day Five - Course Correction

Hey!
How's your week going? Eating healthy and feeling well I hope. Me? Ugh, not so much.

As I said right up front (or at least I hope I did) this ALWAYS HUNGRY SOLUTION is an experiment on myself. The idea being that I want to work within my own unique biology and create a plan that works for me and I have been learning so much I don't even know where to start. Bottom line, I want to be a fat burner.

If you're just catching up and want to know the whole story, you can click the MY SOLUTION link in the bar above and I've put all the AHS posts in one place. How convenient right? I still have no idea how to organize a blog so it's easy to find and search stuff so that was the least I could do.

Getting back to the topic at hand, I am on day five of Dr. Dave's diet plan with my own tweaks in place and things are not going well at all. I have been bloated, tired, low energy, head ache and worst of all...

Gassy. I mean to tell you that I have been letting rip the mother of all brother-in-law stink bombs that are so rank even my dog can't stand to be in the same room as me! So what gives? It's not the plan itself, it is my biology and certain foods that I know I have sensitivities around. They are the usual suspects, soy, dairy, sugar (I know it's not that this time around as I am still off the sweet stuff) and wheat. (same goes I'm off it) so it's got to be the soy and dairy in addition to certain beans. My weekly plan has been filled with chick peas, black beans, and tofu oh my. Add to that full fat milk, yogurt and cheese and well folks, we have a storm brewing. Quite literally. Hold your nose, she could blow at any time!

As I have been listening to all of the speakers that I could find time for during last week's THE TRUTH ABOUT FAT LOSS SUMMIT, some very common themes emerged. The most important message I got? Inflammation is no bueno! Without going into a whole lotta education or scientific jargon that I could never hope to pull off, inflammation is the root cause of ALL stubborn fat that won't seem to budge. We have biofeedback mechanisms in place in our bodies that are a cascade of cause and effect and this is what it breaks down to at its simplest. Certain foods do not agree with us. Let's use sugar as an example.

Refined sugar like the stuff you find in cakes and cookies and even certain boxed cereals that disguise themselves as healthy cause an inflammatory response in your body. (they release insulin and play up certain hormones which are all part of this cause and effect, but like I said keeping it simple) Do not be fooled friends, anything that comes from a box in the centre  aisles of your supermarket generally look like this on the inside!



When you get inflammation, your body produces antibodies to protect itself because our bodies were designed for survival and when we eat sugar the body thinks it's being attacked. (why the heck does it taste so good then, answer me that!) Anyway, these antibodies trigger your body to produce fat cells, mostly around your abdomen because the body is laying down a cushion to protect your organs. Increased fat cells however cause more inflammation which then trigger the antibodies which then trigger the production of even more fat cells, then more inflammation and you suddenly find yourself on a hamster wheel  going round and round eating what you think are all the right foods, killing yourself on the treadmill or in my case in the mat with Tracy Anderson or Katia Price and you still cannot shake the weight.

Shit! So what to do? How do you know what foods cause inflammation? As I said the general culprits are wheat, dairy, sugar, corn, soy, and meat. How do you find out what affects you personally? An elimination diet like CLEAN and then trial and error as you reintroduce the foods back in one at a time. I do want to discuss some things like WHEAT specifically and also certain foods that trigger HORMONES in the body but those deserve their own posts. I have highlighted them in blue so I can come back here and quickly remember what it was I wanted to talk about later. For now, suffice it to say having gone through Clean I know that I do not do well with eggs, dairy, wheat, and soy. I am off sugar and don't eat meat so basically everything is a trigger for me. That might not be food specific it may have more to do with LEAKY GUT but more on that in the wheat post.

With all of that in mind, it now makes perfect sense why five days in I have actually gained some weight (I know we are not supposed to weigh in until the end of the week but I just saw my belly growing so I had to) and am bloated, irritable and feel generally crappy. Full? Yes. Cravings? Not so much. But rotten? Oh hell yeah.

So I'm going back to my roots.

The idea that there is a one size fits all diet for everyone out there is absurd since we each have our own unique make up. Secondly no one knows my body better than me so why am I so quick to outsource my decisions on what to eat? Because it's easier, I don't want to have to think. News flash people, we can still prepare and plan ahead of time, then not have to think when it comes to the day to day. So what's next then.

I am still committed to Ludwig (Not the loving Dr. Dave anymore is he? lol) and the Phases of this plan, Phase 1 being 50% healthy fats, 25% lean protein, and 25% unrefined carbs. I just won't be getting my fats from cheese or my protein from beans or soy. Thankfully I'm totally cool with lentils. Yay! I won't be eliminating dairy altogether as I've got to have my splash of milk in my tea. 

I was worried at the start about reintroducing dairy as I had been off it for a little over two weeks. Self-fulfilling prophesy? Dunno, just know my tummy aches.

Today began the course correction. I had more veggie cold-cut lettuce boats on the menu for lunch, but have since discovered that my beloved Tofurkey is made with Wheat Gluten. Bummer. So instead, I made a salmon salad with wild caught salmon, 1/2 an avocado, a couple of walnuts, topped off with a generous helping of micro-greens and a dollop of full fat ranch dressing. Both Dr. Junger and Dr. Ludwig would be proud.

Additionally I have made some Vegan Bone Broth. No, I didn't make it out of the bones of Vegans! That would be cannibalism silly. Everyone has been touting the benefits of sipping bone broth daily but since I don't eat meat I made a vegan variety. Again the VEGAN BONE BROTH deserves it's own post, so lots to come noble reader as I continue to figure this all out!

Gianormous hugs and good health to you all.
Thanks for stopping by.
xoxo
Shan



13 comments:

  1. Oh Shan, I hear you loud and clear. I've tried many ways of eating, only to find my body didn't like certain things. You are so right! You know your body, find the parts thT work for you. For me, the TA metamorphosis worked initially. I like Kimberly snyder's GGS without the extra fruit, lunch soup or veggies, dinner a protein and veggies. I still drink wine and coffee, can't give that up. I also find eating seasonally works well for me. I also know that feb-April I gain the winter 5 lbs, which leaves me feeling sluggish, come April May, the lighter food, warmer weather, etc... Leads to a slimmer me. Find the parts that work for you.
    Kris Carr made these crazy sexy love notes and the one I am focusing on currently is " listen to your body". She say son the back" no matter how bad we feel, our bodies are always working on our behalf to create health and vitality. Meet your body halfway by acting on messages it sends you. Whether it's a whisper or a roar, don't ignore what you hear. Listen to your body it wants the best for you." I love this, when I try eating someone else plan it never feels right for me.
    Another thought.... sometimes we reach that "low weight" and believe this is our ideal weight. But to me our ideal weight is the weight we can maintain, give or take no more than 5 pounds, easily. What comfortable weight can I maintain with the exercise I do, eating 80-90% healthfully and my normal clothes fit well? These are just foods for thought, love your honesty, reflection and insight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tricia, this is so brilliant and it was stuck in the spam comments. Glad I found it. Kris Carr sounds amazing. I know she came out with a book called the Crazy Sexy Diet a few years back but I had so many books on the go at that time I didn't get it hers. Are these notes part of that or something new?
      I love that thought, that our bodies are always looking out for us and sending us messages, that's so comforting. It creates a relationship between us and our body that is loving and supportive, rather than this "I will whip you into submission" that can be the relationship that so many diets create.
      Thank you for this wonderful feedback and gentle reminder that where my body is comfortable and the number in my head might not always match up.

      Delete
  2. NooooOOoOoOoooOoO......Oh bother. Props for saying it as it is. I totally feel you. When I try to go too high protein, my guts rebel....and I feel so bloated and toot like a train, which then makes me cranky because I'm eating like a freaking champ and look like a damn Care Bear. (Did Canada get into CareBears ... adorable, fat little bears who live in the clouds and have pictures of hearts and clovers and stuff on their bellies....the 80's...great stuff). Good on you for adapting. I hope you find the right ratio, formula, foods, etc.. I'm sure you will. (Down the line when you figure things out, if you wanted to try beans again in any form...have you tried sprouting them? I do that for my husband sometimes to help his digestion of them. Plus, they're tasty). I have endless shelves of cookbooks, and we eat a lot of GF/SF vegan in this household. Down the road let me know if you want to swap recipes or ideas. I always buy cookbooks/read food blogs because I just get bored of eating the same things & need inspiration ( just got Thug Kitchen yesterday and am about to peruse for dinner ideas this week).

    Did you have any of the GI stuff when you dropped the sugar & gluten? Just curious.

    What an experiment this is Shan. You can do this. I'm sorry it sucks right now.

    xo,
    myla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks Myla! I nearly spit tea all over my lap top as I read eat like a champ and look like a care bear. Care Bear Stare!!!!!! Totally know the Care Bears and love them thank you very much.
      I do buy sprouted beans at the local health shop and I am absolutely fine with them. It's the fully grown cooked variety that my body objects to. Kimberly Snyder says it's often because they are such a half/half ratio of protein and carb many people struggle with them.

      Most of my GI stuff comes from wrong combos - like if I have too much protein and fat together, or if I was to eat fruit after a heavier meal which I never do now.
      However, I had no idea how crappy I was still feeling everyday until I did Clean and eliminated all the suspect foods. As I added them in, stuff like eggs, cheese, soy, beans - it all reacts and leaves me feeling horrible (what I had previously thought of as the norm) So now it's just a question of figuring out Ludwig's plan using only the foods I feel good on. It's one big experiment. I can already feel a bit of a diff today just not having cheese or tofu yesterday.

      Omigod I love Thug Kitchen, I don't own it, but of course back when I worked in the book store I was always pouring over it - love the potty mouth language throughout it's hysterical.

      xoxoo

      Delete
    2. Care Bear Stare!!!!! Amen. Love those chubby little bears (and I also had a small obsession with the cousins too) ;)

      Glad you're feeling a bit better today. On ward and upward my friend. (And I'm pretty pumped about Thug Kitchen. Cooking and cursing are up there with some of my favorite activities).

      xo, myla

      Delete
    3. I'm so happy that you like Free People too. May they inspire you to great people and pooch creations. Smalls rocks the 'alls.

      Delete
  3. The Mystical "They" say that you adjust to eating beans. Well DH and I have been saying bean-centric meals for over a decade and we still get clobbered by them.
    Chick peas and kidney beans are brutal. The only ones I can deal with are black beans.

    Hang in there sweetie! Don't stress! Did you see the Beginner Streaming uses a chair? Something to take your mind of your gas...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gia,
      I know chick peas are the worst for me too. Black beans depend on what I eat them with. It's all a puzzle but I'm working it out. I did see that!! I love the chair I can't wait to try it. MC might not stand a chance when we get to use a chair in beginners.
      xo

      Delete
  4. Oh dear Shan, unfortunately I know exactly how you (and the dog) feels... I have the same terrible reaction to whey protein, it just doesn't like me, which is why I only have the raw vegan one now. I would like to tell you your body will get used to the new ratios of everything but it didn't for me, so I think you're right to avoid the things you know cause you inflammation (and gas lol) and stick to the foods you know your guts can take.

    I hope it gets better soon! I admire you sticking to it, in your own fashion... :-)

    Janice x

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. I love those Thug Kitchen lot too, so funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Janice, if we want to solve the problem we have to be part of the solution by really paying attention to those cues our body provides us with rather than just sitting on the sofa with a face full of cheetos saying sod it all.
      xoxo

      Delete
  6. You are so right. What was Tracy's blood analysis she was going to come out with a few years ago??? Haven't seen it but would love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I had even heard about that, Tricia. I knew that there are a few women who have done a test in the US and Sophie has done the York test in the UK. They are out there.

      Delete