Friday, October 31, 2014

Who Are You?

Happy Halloween, all Hallows Eve, and welcome to the end of October. Been a lot of soul searching going on the past few months. Clearing out the old, restructuring and making way for the new. Being open to change and asking that age old question: "Who am I?"

When you ask yourself, "Who am I," do you always get an answer you like? Do you always get an answer. I understand that the answer can change or there can be many. How do we sort out the labels from the truth? And can we ever really know who we are? It's kind of an interesting question to ask on a day like today when so many people are donning masks and running around pretending to be someone else. 


But how many of us have strapped on a metaphorical mask attached to some label we've given ourselves and thought that to be who we were until waking up one day and discovering that perhaps it's not who we really want to be? Or that we've outgrown that identity and want to be something else? Or maybe we've lost sight of who it is we wanted to be and got tangled up in the weeds of the struggle and became someone else entirely?

I remember when I was teaching yoga. I loved the practice. I loved the lifestyle. I loved being a teacher. When I seriously injured my neck and could no longer practice, never mind teach, I had a wee identity crisis. People would come to me with questions about yoga or their practice and I didn't know how to respond. Instead of coming from the heart, I used my head and simply redirected them to someone else, I was no longer a "Yogini". It took years for me to realize that one can practice yoga without ever stepping foot upon an asana mat. We practice through quieting our minds, or selfless service, or devotion, the paths are many, it's the label that gets things muddled up.

As I flipped the calendar from October to November, I wondered what I could choose for this month's virtue. I've really enjoyed working on having "good-timing" in October and in fact hope I can continue to be aware of those moments when my timing is exceptional. I'd like to stick with working on things that improve the quality of my life and the lives of those around me, rather than sticking to a more traditional virtue (like patience) for the sake of having something to work on. This is not static work, nor is it arbitrary. 

Asking: "Who am I?" and clearing space and making time for silence so that the answers can come is all part of this process. So when I flipped the calendar and saw this...

 
I had my answer. Sort of. This coming month, I'd like to work on fully embodying who I am, whoever that is. How can we parlay that into a virtue? What would that be called? I began to think of all the people that I loved and admired, one at a time, asking myself: "What do these people have in common?"

They are all truly who they are, they seem to know themselves even when they grow and change they somehow manage to stay the same. They're authentic. That was the answer. Authenticity. In any and all situations, be yourself. Weather meeting the Queen of England, giving a dollar to a homeless guy, walking in to pitch the head of a TV network, tickling a baby, petting a dog, or taking a class with Tracy Anderson... be yourself. 

But we can only do that by asking the question... "Who am I?" "Who are you?"

I look forward to knowing you and to taking this journey of self-discovery with you this month should you choose to join me!

Big hugs.
Shan



4 comments:

  1. Hi my lovely Shan. I've been a bad friend! Due to stuff going on, I have only now read the whole of this blog up to date. I love it! Your writing is amazing - and you are so inspiring. This blog (as well as the previous blog!) has the makings of a book. I truly believe this. I love your new way of thinking and it will prove to be that your writing will be successful - I know it. As you know, I've struggled over the last year or so - in a place that I never wanted to be at the age of 45 and not knowing what I really want to do career wise after thinking that it was all ok. The situation hasn't changed much, but I feel more positive about the future now - who knows what's round the corner? I feel that your blog will help me along the path, along with all the other lovely readers. So thank you! Love always xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, my dear friend, I do know you've been through the ringer and back again. But I choose to believe that life sets us (or sometimes kicks us...really hard) onto the path we're meant to travel. Be it life lessons or a renewal of dreams or the creation of goals we've never had before, whatever the reason, I think we are all where we are supposed to be. And we can make our lives happier and better by working on the thoughts we allow to be on repeat. It takes effort to love ourselves and our lives but it's so worth it.
      You're a beautiful and amazing soul. I am so glad you're in my life. I cannot wait to hear about your next life chapters! All my love.

      Delete
    2. Ah, thank you for your very kind - and very true - words. I do agree with you, it's often hard to see at times, but when you can get some perspective, it all makes sense. I'm so, so proud of you, and so happy that we 'met'! xxx

      Delete
    3. We never know what can happen or where we'll end up, but friends like you make the journey worth it girl!

      Delete