Thursday, October 23, 2014

The Purge Continues

Good morning my pretties,

I have no idea where this post is going to go today so lemme suggest that you strap in, it might be a bumpy ride.

You know, one of the amazing things about making laps around the sun (or collecting birthdays if you prefer) is the fact that you get to have experiences. You can make choices and if you find you're unhappy or things are not quite working out, or you're just tired and bored, you're free to reinvent yourself. Just look at Madonna... Don't cry for her Argentina!


When I was twenty-four, I was working on a cruise ship where I met a woman who was then, just a year older than I am now and I couldn't believe some of the shit she'd done in her short life. 

Hey, how come when I was 24 I thought she was young, but now I'm nearly her age I feel old? That is bang out of order and a massive note to self! Forties are still cool baby! But I digress.

She was a hair stylist. Maybe that doesn't sound all that glamorous, but she was running a spa on a ship so... She'd opened a salon in Pakistan and had been developing her own line of hair care while there, but had to escape under the cover of night with nothing but her young daughter and the clothes on their backs! She'd been married four times, lived in Illinois, Florida, Colorado, California, the above mentioned Pakistan, she'd taken care of her sister as her sister died of aids, she'd broken her neck while skydiving (no kidding!), learned to fly a helicopter, the list goes on. I mean to tell you that there was nothing this woman was afraid of. She'd gotten a scary health diagnosis at the age of 33 and was determined to live the fullest life she could. She was a survivor and a fighter and a chameleon and my best friend. She died on a Superbowl Sunday when she was 55. Trust Jax to cross-over on a big and unforgettable kind of day, but not the kind of day that would ruin you forever like Christmas or Valentine's Day. She was just that awesome.

Wow, talking about her and remembering her kinda makes the rest of what I wanted to write about today feel rather insignificant. You can totally feel free to stop reading here and just take away the message to live the life you've been given if you like. 

Or keep reading because I'd like to talk about reinvention or better still, rejuvenation.

Both seem to be the themes of late. Shrugging out of the old scratchy life that no longer fits and trying to find a comfy cozy one that does. I am attempting to step up and define what it is I want career-wise. Not to 'redefine' myself exactly, but finally make the transition between the emerging (read: struggling) artist and the professional working writer. 

Let's be honest, I'd like to get paid for it, people! 

For one reason or another, I thought the answer to the question or the solution to the problem might lie behind the doors of my closent. I began rummaging around in there and realized that I was basically still dressing like the newbie writer. Still more or less dressing like a college student. I mean come on, for years the only store I shopped at was American Eagle Outfitters.


I'll admit, denim, hoodies and beach hair still really appeal to me. I'll never be able to fully give that up. But if I want to be taken seriously, perhaps I should be looking more toward the classic beauties that I admire and want to be like. Yeah, yeah, I know... Lena Dunham and Diablo Cody were in my last post and as mentioned... both get or have gotten naked professionally... SO NOT what I'm talking about.

I adore the timeless style and beauty of Audrey Hepburn, Lauren Hutton, the young but stunning Emma Watson, and of course my fave, Norma Kamali.

Oh look! There she is with Tracy Anderson, my other favorite lady. (Norma's the one in the gorgeous cateye glasses and fabulous shoes!) 

I started pulling out sweatshirts and old jeans, T-shirt after T-shirt, and track pants.

I needed to do something. So I came up with a modest budget and I hit the street. More to the point, I hit H&M, because lets face it, the street around here is Robson and it can get a lil expensive. I had chosen some classic looking pieces online before going so I wouldn't get distracted and I set out to polish up my personal style.

My sister would have been so proud of me, I found sweaters for $7, $10 AND $14, Leggings for $11. I'm not suggesting that these things are going to last forever, but they will help to transition me as I go into meetings and try to behave like a big girl and get a big girl job. I got one more item than I'd planned and came in UNDER budget! H&M I heart you. You're my new best store.

I brought my bag of goodies home and needed to make room. I dug further into my closet and drawers and began building a pile. He Who Shall Not Be Named walked in during this process and offered to help. He felt confident that he'd be able to help me rid myself of outdated attachments. So I took him up on the offer, until he began going through the discard pile saying things like: "You can't get rid of this Brazil T-shirt, you wore that in your film school video, or I remember you in this from when we were in Cuba, you're not giving that away are you?" He was banished shortly thereafter.

One bag in and five bags out! I took shoes, sneakers, hats, bags and clothing to the donation box in the pouring rain. It was like a poetic scene from a movie! 

Oh, do you remember the scene in Breakfast at Tiffany's where Holly Golightly is out in the pouring rain desperately searching the al for Cat? 


It was like that, but with less tears and less hugging. Okay it wasn't like that at all, but I got that soaked and now I have room in my drawers and closet for my new things.

It was my call to the universe saying: "I'm ready!" 

And I finally feel it. Deep in my bones. I was always plagued with feelings of less-than and not experienced enough. I'm officially letting that go. While I know there are plenty of writers whose talents far exceed my own, I have some experience and a thimble full of talent. I've put in the time. I've kept my nose to the grindstone and it's starting to pay off.  I've made the film, won the award, written the new series... bring it on. 

With laps around the sun comes skill, practical knowledge, experience and a measure of confidence. Confidence not the bravado that can sometimes come with the foolhardiness of youth. I am confident that I can do the job I've set out to do and I am taking the steps... one at a time... toward it.

That journey toward the life you've always imagined begins with a single step, or a trip to H&M, or an overhaul of the closet. What have you always dreamed of doing? Or being? Or having? Is there a way for you to more fully embody that desire? Can you look the part? Isn't there a saying? Fake it till you make it? Well alright then! We got this.

xo
Shan

10 comments:

  1. I love that you're trying to fit the part! But I also know what you mean about still dressing like you're 20 or 30 something. I have to constantly remind myself, especially when out clothes shopping that I'm NOT 25 anymore and need to pick outfits that more suit me at my current age (saying nothing ;-) ). I don't mean dress like an old frump but just look stylish with a hint of cool, rather than cool with a hint of what-the-hell-are-you-wearing-at-your-age! This of course doesn't stop me wearing the comfy hoodies and sweat pants around the house on an evening, they're SO comfy and I'm not stopping doing that!

    I think your new outfits will definitely help you feel the part at meetings and this will come across to others too, then the jobs will just roll in and you'll wonder why you didn't get down to H&M sooner! Hopefully!

    Love Janice. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, when I see certain women, I can automatically see what decade was their hayday, their fashion sense is slightly nostalgic for that era. I just want to be careful not to slip into that. I want my wardrobe to feel both fresh and modern, while having a classic appeal. Timeless like the Hepburns, you know?
      Don't get me wrong. Jeans will always be my go to and a wardrobe staple!

      Delete
  2. awe wish I could have been in on this shopping trip - the last one was a blast!!!! :)

    Young at heart baby! :) love you!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, it would have been sooooooo much more fun had you been here. I just tried on everything even stuff I thought I might hate as though you were here and I saw so many jumpsuits that made me think of you saying "Just try it!" Miss you.

      Delete
  3. Oh dear, you've hit a nail on the head here... I have to admit I am jeans and shirt / t-shirt/ sweats kind of 44 year old girl... Even my 12 year old daughter steals clothes for me... oh dear I feel shame... My husband keeps begging me to wear skirts and dresses and I just can't.... I feel not me.... So now, after thinking about it I'm sure that when I walk down the street a lot of people might be thinking... look at that 20 year old wannabe!!!! Maybe it's time to hit H&M, but I don't look good in leggings... (I read somewhere that the only ones that never lie are drunks, kids and leggings...) I don't look good in skirts, my hands look aged when I paint my nails, I love the make up that doesn't look like you have any make up on, I like jeans, cotton, and cotton comfy underwear..... I need therapy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you need to reinvent your style Natalia. I am not a dress and skirt type either and didn't include any of that in my recent shop. I just felt I needed a bit of an update. A few new "classic" pieces. A black V-neck sweater, some stylish leggings and trousers. You don't have to give up your jeans, but perhaps a chic pair of new ones are in order? Couldn't hurt right.
      And for the record, I still wear a kid's brand lip gloss called Lipsmacker, rather than lipstick. Somethings are just not worth giving up.

      Delete
  4. Its amazing the power of visualisation.
    If we have an image in our heads of what we look like, and thus how we FEEL looking that way, we have already created a golden ticket just waiting to be cashed in.
    Investing sometime, and yes perhaps some cash, in achieving that look is money and time more than well spent.
    Its an investment - as the knock on effect of good feeling and confidence creates ripples of positivity.
    If you feel good, confident, attractive, successful etc etc, people who meet you will recognise that and mirror it straight back at you - thus enforcing the feeling.

    Don't know why I am telling you all this - the women who read this blog are a very rounded, worldly bunch!

    You have inspired me though Shan _ am making a note on my jobs of the week, to clear the wardrobe of anything I own which I don't feel great in - imagine that (apart from scruffy work clothes & P'Js), imagine that you simply do not keep anything in your wardrobe which does not make you feel good…..
    I will aspire to that!!!!!!!!

    Sxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophie, there is something so powerful in the act of cleansing. Be it in the body or in the cupboards. Like lighting a fire and watching alchemy in action. Quite profound. I'm feeling good and ready to dig into the rest of the house - blankets, towels, outdated toiletries. Fall is a time of ridding ourselves of what is no longer useful!
      Can't wait to hear how you do with it! Also hope you found a crew!!

      Delete
  5. I totally get you, there comes a time to change/grow up/reinvent or just polish what was already there.......and that's me right now too! Throwing away the old, metaphorically and physically and beginning again! It feels so good doesn't it!? And if it means a trip to the shops for some new threads too.......well then yippee! Don't remember when I last did that - the shopping part! But I do remember the feeling the last time I had a good clean out of my wardrobe.......it felt so good taking the boxes to the charity shop, finally everything fitted in my drawers and not spread all over the place!
    I bet you look fab in your new wardrobe.......but to be honest I bet you looked gorgeous before too :)
    Now go girl.........can't wait to see what creation next comes forth x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing better than making room, Hanna. Like a good spring clean. Wonder why I always feel the need to do it in the fall instead? Hmm.

      Delete