Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Daring Greatly.

Just a quick post today lovelies. Or maybe not, you know I can waffle on.

In any case, in the days leading up to my birthday I was conscious of a shift taking place within. I was tired of being afraid, of hiding. You know I can really let it all hang out when I talk about feeling fat or old and my struggles to keep up with a good diet, but when it comes to my writing? That's another story.

Sure yes, I share my writing by virtue of the fact that I write a blog. But my work, my creations, my figurative babies, those I can be more precious with.

So I knew I wanted to make a change, in fact was driven by a desire to live differently in this next year, next phase of my life. The things I have been doing haven't been working as well as I'd like. Sure I've tried, I've put myself out there, I've knocked on doors that were often closed to the likes of me... but I couldn't help but wonder if there was something different that I could be doing. Like inside of me, you know what I mean? A reframe or shift in perspective. The sage and insightful author Eckhart Tolle says "The world can only change from within." Truth, my brother!

The answer was yes. I could peel back the layers, smash down the protective walls and really expose myself. I took the first step toward that exposure by sharing my short story, The Hidden Arrow with you.

I'm still not convinced it was a good idea and feels like one of the most terrifying things I've done to date, but it didn't kill me. And truly, I feel stronger for it.

But in the lead up to that, my girl Myla - kindred spirit, fellow July baby and interweb soul-sister shared her latest passion. A research goddess named Brene Brown (Brene sounds like Rene). When she mentioned that she was a researcher, I think I might have yawned. And the hilarious thing is that in the first intro I had to Brene, she opened her talk with a story about a woman who was trying to figure out how to introduce her and didn't want to say she was a researcher because people might be turned off by that. Wow, who knew I was so text-book. Anyway - I finally had an opportunity to check her out on YouTube and listen to her TED talk. Okay come on, if I lost you at researcher, I must have won you back by TED talk, no?

She talked about her research into why some people feel worthy and others don't and what's the difference in how they think. Pretty cool stuff. For me, as a writer, I always feel like I'm not good enough. In fact come to think about it, when it comes to practicing the Tracy Anderson Method, I feel like a perpetual remedial student because I never get it right and feel like a big clumsy oaf. But I digress. I have met many writers who do think they're good enough, in fact many of them see themselves as even better than most (when it comes to writing. These are my friends I'm talking about here) And the ones who think they are better... are the more successful ones. They get stuff made, they get into writing rooms, they are always working. But that doesn't mean that they didn't feel sick to their stomachs when they had to walk into a room to pitch their material, it just means they had the guts to do it and felt like they had a right to be there.

So... my point.

Myla mentioned Brene Brown and I watched her talk and it was very cool.
You should watch it HERE.

This picture sums up the message of that talk in a nutshell.

 

But what's more, she did a second talk about shame that really rocked my world. It hit me in my heart center and made me go - that's me! I feel shame! Lots of it. It comes from a variety of factors, the big one being that I come from a multi-racial background. For a whole host of reasons, too many to go into within the scope of this blog - I was never sure who I was. Too white to be Native, too Native to be white, shunned on both sides, a mongrel not good enough to ever amount to anything. Okay that was a whole lot more than I intended to share, but I guess that's the theme of this new year. Be brave enough to be vulnerable. Really put yourself out there.

What I am really writing today to say to you, is please take a break. Go to youtube and check her out. Then watch her other stuff - the talk about shame really might change your outlook. At the very least it will let you know that you are not alone. Here's the link for that one.

LISTENING TO SHAME 

The top one came first, so it's fun to watch it first before Listening to Shame because you can see her evolution. She is hilarious by the way, don't be fooled by the subject matter.
 
Thanks for sharing, Myla. Dr. Brown is amazing!

xo
Shan


 

14 comments:

  1. Shan, thank you for posting these gems you find! I will definitely have to check out this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shan, I hear you on the shame thing, sounds like a good listen. Not racial shame per se, but I went to 13 years of Catholic school, so a bunch of wonderful Catholic guilt is mine, lol. I could always be doing what I’m doing better, or just be doing something better than what I’m doing. Makes it very rare to just sit and relax and be okay with that.

    I also have the ‘never good enough’ thing as well, like everyone else deserves ‘x’ but me, or everyone else belongs wherever I am but me. I think for me it’s just about finding things that I care so much about that those feelings don’t stop me. If I don’t feel ‘good enough’ but just want to badly to participate in whatever that I do so anyways, then I really know it’s something I want to do. Probably like you with writing. So don’t give up, you are a great writer, and deserve all the things you want to accomplish in that field. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Catholic guilt, I know it well. Ha ha. I just wish we could get on with things without the voice in our heads that says "not good enough" - let's work on that!

      Delete
  3. Shan, once again we're share the same path ... I'm majorly working on vulnerability now, too, with the walls I put up, and the masks I wear (usually the mask of innocence) all to feel safe and in control that ultimately keep me separate and disconnected. I'm in the middle of reading Brene Brown's Daring Greatly book right now!!

    I have great fear in being exposed and the shame that goes along with that. I'm learning that no matter how much I want to hide and/or change things in form (i.e., my body! my work!), it is essentially rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic and I'm in a cycle of "seek and do not find". My work begins within. And for me, when it doesn't begin there, it does not work, it is not consistent or lasting.

    And it is such hard work to even be willing to go there, to look in the shadow parts of myself, willing to get ugly, and willing to not be in denial anymore ... but all with the greatest payoff ever, because I'm seeing that none of it is who I truly am. It's weeding through my story after story (relationship after relationship) that no longer works for me. It's worth every tear :-) Keep walking through the fire baby. Sending you Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I know that expression rearranging deck chairs, I like to say it's like changing seats on a crashing plane.
      Every change does come from within and it takes work but it's so worth it. I think we're doing it and tools like these and the support of women who share these things is such a blessing we can't ever take for granted. Here's to getting to the other side of the fire!

      Delete
  4. I knew you would love her!! (I don't understand how you couldn't love her, she's a doll). I'm right next to you girl. I'm telling you, I watched her pieces (along with two longer interviews and some Oprah segments) on YouTube and my world shifted. I literally either gaped my mouth at certain points or even "aw dang"-ed at things she said. I'm trying to remember, I know one was about if you can even get past "you're not good enough" you hit, "well, who do you think you are?". Right in the gut, man. I'm on the wait list at the library for her two books, and I'm literally chomping at the bit for more.

    I didn't realize it at first, but I think this type of research/work came into my sphere at just about the perfect time, and it's like meaty, down and dirty, true-blue, this s**t is real-stuff. Whether it's shame or vulnerability (I'm a vulnerability girl myself), it connects to how we experience (or don't) joy, our creativeness, our relationships, and out interaction in the world. I don't know. Call me weird, but I'm excited. I'm trying so hard to be succinct...my cup is full with this stuff right now.

    Also love you final sentiment. You're not alone. This is us. All of us. Get out of shame, work like crazy to get into the arena, embrace vulnerability, and lean in with empathy. Phew.

    So glad I found your blog. You and the ladies here are so inspiring and real. And vulnerability girl here....it took my like A YEAR to actually have the backbone to post a something.

    Hugs and well wishes!!
    myla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm so glad you were brave enough to share. It's like we're in here -- all of us -- molding this clay together!
      thanks girl.

      Delete
  5. Aha! Here you are! I just bought a month of streaming--we will see how it goes. It sounds intimidating but perhaps it is what I need? I have not been completely consistent with TA, but I still do it and I still have the benefits of much of her work and I'm so grateful for it. I would say that it was the start of a pretty big change in my life...at any rate. It's wonderful to know you are still here! Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hello there lovely lady! I guess we have both been keeping a low profile of late. I am delighted to hear that you are going to get into streaming. It's a wonderful way to workout. It has so much fresh energy and before you know it, you'll forget ever being intimidated. It's Tracy after all, she's practically family to us!
      xo

      Delete
  6. Shan! I want to email you. I did the streaming today...was I ever wobbly afterward. But I don't want to email about that! I just want to email. Where do I reach you? Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the wobble will fade... just in time for the new class to come up and make yo wobbly all over again in a new way... lol
      you can reach me at masters dot shan at gmail dot com
      xoxo

      Delete
  7. I have tendonitis in my knee! waaaaah! Sorry. Nowhere to vent this. My knee felt funny doing DC about a month ago. I really wish TA would mix it up a bit more.
    Sometimes I feel like doing a back kick with your body turned diagonally is STILL the same exercise as doing it forward.

    Enough about me! I miss your posts! I hope it's good busy keeping you occupied!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Gia, I am so sorry that you have an injury, that so totally sucks! I hope that you're resting up and feeling better. My apologies for not being around more, my life has been so crazy busy. Two jobs on the go, so I have been in absolute over-drive. Hoping things will level out a little by next week. Thinking boutcha girl. Take care.
      xoxo

      Delete