Monday, July 13, 2015

The Hidden Arrow - Part Two

Hello you beautiful people.
Well... it's a new year. My birthday was yesterday and I have to say I feel a palpable difference. Like things really are going to take a turn for the better. Plus! There is a whole new 21-Day Meditation with Oprah and Deepak starting today. 

You can sign up for free HERE!

I cannot think of a better gift. Well actually I can, I made a few wishes this year. He he he.

Anyway. Without further adieu... Part two of my short story The Hidden Arrow.
Oh and if you missed Part One or are just tuning in - you can check out the first half of the story HERE.


                  Jess watched the whole scene play out through a fog of regret, but when she realized that the woman had gotten back into the police car and was driving away; she’d remembered the words of the farmer.
                  “Tell my wife I’ll be waiting for her.”
                  Jess snapped to her senses and raced back to her truck to give chase. She jumped behind the wheel, plugged the key into the ignition and turned, but nothing happened. Jess slammed her fist into the steering wheel.
                  “You stupid piece of shit, come on!” She shouted as the police cruiser shrank in the distance. She tried again and this time the engine fired. She threw it into gear and took off after them, spitting up gravel in her wake.

                  By now the sun had stretched up to the centre of the sky and was beating down on Jess as she stood in the yard outside a large farmhouse. As the police car pulled out of the drive, Jess stood back and took in the yard. A small creek bubbled noisily behind the house, an old work shed sat off to the side next to a crooked tree. Finally, Jess screwed up her courage and found her way across the yard and onto the porch. She reached out to knock on the door, but before she could, it opened. The farmer’s wife, eyes rimmed red from crying, saw Jess standing there and immediately embraced her.          
                  “I’m so sorry for your loss,” Jess whispered. “I was there, with him when he crossed.”
                  “Please come in.” The woman swung the door open and stepped aside to allow Jess entry into the house.

                  The house had a very cozy lived-in feeling about it. It was homey. Jess followed the woman into the living room where she motioned for Jess to sit. Jess hesitated.            
                  “Oh I shouldn’t,” Jess motioned to her soiled clothing.        
                  “Please, it’s okay,” the woman said as she took a seat on the sofa and patted the spot next to her for Jess to sit. Jess sat down next to her.
                  “He went peacefully, he didn’t seem to be in pain. He wanted me to tell you that he’ll be waiting for you.”
                  The woman nodded. She seemed to understand as a single tear escaped down her delicately lined cheek.
                  “He said love was the most important thing and he had no regrets,” Jess promised.
                  “May I show you something?” the woman asked.
                  Jess nodded as the woman got to her feet and pulled a framed picture from the mantel. She handed it to Jess. Jess was startled at the image and she was confused by it.  
                  “When was this taken?” she asked cautiously. The woman smiled fondly. 
                  “Some time ago, I was pregnant with our first child.”
                  Jess couldn’t stop staring at the picture. She tried to wipe some of the dust from the glass to get a better look. The couple in the photograph bore an unsettling resemblance to Jess and Gary.
                  “A lot of responsibility, being a mother. I was about your age, and scared.” She looked at Jess knowingly.
                  “How did you know I was…”
                  “Love is the most important thing. Loving my husband and having our children was the best thing I’ve ever done.” Jess put her arm around the woman as she began to sob gently.
                  “I’m so glad you were there with him, dear. Everything’s going to be alright now,” she said as she straightened herself up and dried her eyes.
                  “Would you like me to stay with you? I can make some tea.”
                  The woman patted Jess’s knee, took the photograph from her lap and returned it to its place on the mantle.               
                  “You go on home, dear. My son will be along shortly,” she said reassuringly. Jess stood up to go.
                  “I’d like to come back tomorrow to check in on you. Would it be okay if I brought my boyfriend? I feel like the two of you should meet.” Jess was not at all sure of why she was felt that way.
                  “I’d like that.” The woman turned away from the fireplace and walked Jess to the door.

                  Gary had his old tractor pulled up into the driveway in front of the house, the ground around it littered with tools while he worked on it. He looked up, surprised when he saw Jess’s truck pull into the yard early. She pulled up behind the tractor.
                  “Did they fire you or did you finally quit?” he called in through her open driver’s window before he saw the expression on her face. He grew worried when he saw her crawl out of the truck stained with blood and dirt. Gary leapt to his feet and raced over to her.    
                  “Oh my God, Jess are you alright? What happened?”
                  “There was an accident,” she managed, “I think I need to sit down.”
                  Gary wrapped his arm around her shoulder and guided her to the front step of their house where he helped her to sit.
                  “A tractor, it rolled over in the ditch. The driver, he, he didn’t make it.” Jess began to cry for what felt like the millionth time that day while Gary showered the top of her head with kisses and stroked her back.                 
                  “I’m so sorry, Jess, but I’m so glad you’re okay.”
                  Jess looked up at him through the blur of tears.
                  “Gary, what’s your favorite thing in the world?” Gary embraced her fully, pressing his face into her hair and inhaling.
                  “Your hair. When it smells like campfire smoke.” Jess tossed her arms around his neck and hugged him so tightly she nearly choked him.             
                  “Baby, you’re okay. It’s going to be okay,” he assured her.
                  “How do you feel about grandkids?”
                  Gary sat back and looked at her. A grin spread across his face in wonderment.      
                  “Are you – I mean are we?”
                  Jess nodded through a tear soaked smile.
                  “Having a baby? Yeah,” she confirmed.   
                  Gary jumped to his feet and shouted to the heavens.
                  “Did you hear that? She’s having my baby!” Then in one fell swoop Gary bent to scoop Jess up in his arms. He marched up the stairs and carried her into the house.                 

                  Jess sat at the kitchen table and allowed Gary to strip off her filthy jeans and T-shirt as bathwater ran in the background. She let herself to be taken care of.
                  “Now you just relax, little mama. I’m drawing you a cool bath and I’m going to fix your supper while you soak.”                       

                  Jess entered the kitchen wrapped in her bathrobe, her hair still wrapped in a towel. Before she could sit, Gary raced over and pulled out her chair. 
                  “Wait until you see what I’ve rustled up for you,” he claimed excitedly. But when he brought over the steaming bowl of Hamburger Helper, the smell of beef sent a wave of nausea over Jess that sent her on a hasty retreat to the bathroom.

                  The next day, from the passenger’s seat of the truck, Jess searched the side of the road looking for the correct turn off. Gary eyed her sideways from behind the wheel. 
                  “There! Turn there. That’s it, I’m sure of it.”
                  “You were sure of it the last two times,” Gary mused incredulously as he drove past the turn.
                  “Go back! That’s the road. I’m positive,” Jess insisted.
                  At her urging, Gary slowed to a stop and turned the truck around on the narrow gravel road. Humoring her, Gary eased the truck off the road and down a narrow wooded lane, a resigned expression taking up permanent residence on his face.
                  “I really don’t think this is it,” he said as they traveled down the lane. But Jess was sure, this was the same road she’d followed the police car down only yesterday.          
                  “No, this is it. I’m positive.” She was absolutely convinced that this was the place until the road dead-ended at a clearing in the trees. There was definitely no farmhouse, no shed, nothing. Her face was a blanket of confusion and disappointment when she jumped out of the truck. Gary climbed out after her and went to stand by her side.
                  “Gary, I was sure this was their place. I would have bet my life on it,” she sighed heavily. Gary put his arm around her shoulder.
                  “The man just died in your arms, Jess, you’re bound to be traumatized.”
                  Jess pulled away angrily and stalked over to the edge of the property. As she got closer to the trees, she could hear the sound of running water, the creek, she thought.
                  “This is the place! It’s the same spot. I recognize the creek,” she exclaimed joyfully.              
                  “So where’s the house, Jess?”
                  “I don’t know. You saw the blood right? I mean I didn’t imagine it, right?”
                  “Of course you didn’t. We’re just in the wrong spot that’s all. In fact this couldn’t possibly be the place.”
                  Jess wheeled around to face him.               
                  “Why do you say that?”
                  “Because this is Stonebiik land. It’s been in my family forever,” he replied. Jess was taken aback.   
                  “What?”                
                  “It was going to be a surprise, but since we’re here - Jess this is the spot that I was planning to build us a new house, and now with the baby on the way -
What do you think?” he asked.
                  Jess ran over to him and jumped into his arms.
                  “I don’t know what to say.”
                  “I was thinking we could build the house right here in front of the creek. Oh and there - look over there,” he points off in the distance, “we could put up a work shed over there.”
                  Jess followed the direction he was pointing in, and then turned to the other side of the lot where she spotted the crooked tree. A tiny smile crept to the corner of her mouth.            
                  “Actually it was over there.”
                  “What was?” he asked.
                  “Nothing, never mind.” She kissed him again. “We can build it where ever you like.”
                  Gary’s eyes scanned the property.
                  “Maybe you’re right. The ground is higher over there. Don’t want to run the risk of flooding if the creek rises.”
                  “Gary? I have some money saved up. I think we should buy you a new tractor.”
                  “I thought you were saving that for a trip someplace.” He gave her a long look.    
                  “I was but,” Gary cut her off.       
                  “No buts, I’m taking you someplace. How about Paris?” Jess smiled at him lovingly. Paris can wait, she thought, this family is what I want right now.                
                  “How ‘bout we start with French toast? I just got the weirdest craving for it.” Gary laughed and gave her a giant bear hug. For the first time since she’d gotten the news, Jess was beginning to feel excited. She gently rubbed her flat tummy and instinctively, Gary put his hands there too.
                  “Uh oh. Here we go! Better stock up on pickles,” Gary teased.     

THE END.
 

 
Hope you enjoyed that little journey to the prairies and another world.
It was super scary to share, but very liberating. Thanks for walking me through it. You're the bestest.

Big hugs,
Shan


 

10 comments:

  1. So the older couple was them from the future to reassure her that everything would work out! Cool twist! :) Great story, I really liked Jess and Gary's banter, very believable couple. This was great, thank you for sharing. I'm an avid reader, always have my nose in a book, so I've always wondered what your writing was like, and it's fantastic. You're definitely in the right business. And HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope all of your wishes come true. I have a feeling they will, I think you've put yourself on the perfect path to your personal and professional success. I mean I'm not you from the future or anything, but I do believe that! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Heidi,
      Thank you so much. I appreciate that. While this isn't a true reflection of my writing (I'm a filmmaker so it's pretty different) I felt this little story had been kept in the dark for long enough and it was an act of courage to share. Thanks for helping me to stretch and grow.
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. It's so lovely Shan. Great work, and thanks so much for putting it out there. I empathize with your feelings of hesitation or nervousness or *insert proper personal feeling*, but I'm so glad you did. Bravo for clicking "post" (I don't blog, so I have no idea if that's right, but you get my drift..send, publish, "let other eyes than my own look").

    All the best...and thanks for the 21-day meditation link!
    myla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Myla! And I said above to Heidi, it was an act of courage to shine the light on this tiny part of me, so I have to say thanks. Thanks for giving me a place to feel safe and to stretch and grow!
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. You know what? I was surprised! I was expecting a sci-fi super hero type story. You know "The Arrow is the savior of the universe etc.

    Instead I got a sweet romantic story that made me squee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that so funny, Gia. I recently wrote a Sci Fi called Fragmented about a geneticist who goes off the rails and starts doing all sorts of rogue experiments to save her daughter's life.
      Nope, this was just a plain old heart-felt drama inspired by my home-town.
      Thanks a mill for reading it.
      xo

      Delete
  4. I always loved your writing Shan and, for what is's worth, I love this story. Please keep sharing.

    Happy belated birthday, I truly hope this year is the one! Lots of love my dear xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cried...It was a great short story bliss! You are an amazing person! Don't ever give up!

    ReplyDelete