Thursday, November 27, 2014

American Thanksgiving

I've been a little busier than I'd like and haven't been able to get here with any regularity, but since I did put up a post about Canadian Thanksgiving, I thought I'd better get my butt in gear and do one for American Thanksgiving too. 

In any case, for all of the things that this holiday has stemmed from (the atrocities and genocide that go hand in hand with colonization)  and grown into to, (massive spending on Black Friday) if we strip all of it away and just keep the gratitude - it's a pretty magnificent day.

I'm sorry to hear that we're still having the same issues in America that we had nearly 100 years ago - hello shitty race relations - 1919 Chicago Riots anyone? But I am grateful to see an African American President in the US and the first Treaty Indian Member of Parliament in Canada (okay folks we still have a long way to go). I'm grateful that I live in a place where we can (for the most part) practice our cultures and beliefs along side one another.

I'm grateful that I can post my thoughts and ideas onto a public forum and not get stoned for it. 

I don't know why I went political here today - I guess because I have an idea for a new TV show that would be a period piece taking place when times were not as congenial and it's been in the forefront of my mind. It's going to be a good show some day, I promise you that!

Whatever is going on in your life or in your neighborhood today, I hope you'll be able to look around you and spot some good things. The faces of the friends and family you love, a full belly, a roof over your head, comfy socks, your sweet cat, whatever it is, I hope you find it and are aware of it and and it makes you glad to be alive. Happy Thanksgiving.



Big hugs.
Shan

 

No comments:

Post a Comment