Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Sticking with it...

Hello beauties,

Thanks again for your support, wisdom and kind words on my last post about transitioning to silver hair. It's been a fascinating journey to be sure and far from over. There were so many times during the past few months - but this last month especially - that I wanted to run screaming to my stylist and shout "make it stop!" I hate my hair. Hate these grey roots. I feel ugly. I feel old. This is stupid.

I continue to read stories of liberation, self-love and healthy locks on IG and I simply don't share that experience. It hasn't felt wonderful or liberating or great. I've googled and YouTubed and Pinterested myself into a frenzy of back and forth - Keep it, color it, keep it, color it. Not even one day to the next, but quite literally minute to minute. This transition was making me so crazy one dear friend suggested that it seemed to be an energy drain and that perhaps now simply wasn't the right time.

I agreed, yes now is the wrong time. Maybe I can try again in another ten years or so, but the very idea of going back to the dye bottle bi-monthly absolutely made my skin crawl.

One tiny bonus of this process is that I have little hairs beginning to grow back where my hair has been thinning for years. It's not major, I'll likely never go back to the glorious thick mane I had in my 20's, but it's still promising. Not to mention the fact that I'm no longer responsible for washing all those nasty chemicals down the drain. One noble reader pointed that out to me and it was an aha moment for real. As an animal advocate and environmental steward I hated the idea that I was using a product that you just know had to be tested on animals at some point, or that was polluting our water supply each time it washed down the sink.

So for those reasons and more, here I am. I'm four months in, I'm armed with a few new role models and quite honestly I feel like I'm part of a rebellion of sorts, and I still have silver roots.


It's going to take much longer than I'd ever imagined. I mean in the back of my head I'd always assumed it would be around 3 ish years, but to get the style and length I'm after it'll likely be closer to 4-5 years. My god that's a long time. On the other hand, on the shy side it's 48 months, because my hair is so dark and roots show so quickly, I was coloring every two weeks which means that's 96 boxes of dye that I don't need to buy. At a minimum of an hour to prep, color and rinse, that's 4 days of my life I've spared from coloring. Cool, huh?

And hopefully, one day, I'll eventually look in the mirror, see that silver next to my face and it will look normal and like me. At the moment it still doesn't but that's okay. Maybe I'm getting to know a new me.

One thing I did do, and would highly recommend if you're trying to grow out your grey hair and are struggling - I got a precision cut. I'm going to ditch the layers and go for more of an "all one length" style. I also had my stylist tone out the brassy summer sun from the ends and somehow, it's made my hair look more uniform which is shocking considering the drastic difference between light and dark. But I'm more settled in my decision now.

I feel like I may almost be able to forget about it for a while which would be a welcome relief. And on those rotten days when I look in the mirror and don't love my reflection, there's always a good hat to be worn.

This process isn't easy (for me) but I'm counting on it being worth it in the end.

Big hugs,
Shan


14 comments:

  1. Your "grey-lights really go with your complextion! I have grown out my hair a bit less than yours so far. I recently had a freak out moment too. Thinking I looked old or not myself. Then I had an A-ha moment. My real self was not a person with dyed hair either. If I look at a picture of me with dyed hair it does not look like my young self. It looks odd. The color is never the same. Also my real color has changed since I was young. It's much darker. Also I almost was going to paint in some dye streaks in the grey to blend it in. But then it would takes months longer for that to grow out too! I am curious now to see the new color and what makeup and clothing will go with it the best. I have a feeling it will suit my complexion better too.
    I just recently tried a purple toning shampoo and it really helped it look better and more blended. It was Wen by Chaz Dean called Indigo Bella Spirit. They sell it on QVC here. I use it once a week and it makes the white hairs sparkle too.
    I am going to get another two inches cut off my hair to make the process go faster. Actually am liking my hair not quite so long. I want to chop it off to shoulder length. Feeling like big changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marie,
      It always feels like autumn is the best time for change and setting new intentions. I'm glad to hear that you're sticking with it and that you too have moments of "what am I doing?!". It's hard when you think you're the only one that doesn't LOVE the process, you know?

      I am pretty sure now that I am going to go the distance with this, but I have a feeling there will be more bumps along the way. I suspect though that this initial 3-6 or 8 month start is the hardest part. After that, you sort of get used to it and as you say, you can cut or trim your hair to help it along.

      I'm very curious to see where we'll both be this time next year. Keep me posted on your progress and thanks for sharing your experiences so far.

      xoxo
      Shan

      Delete
  2. Dear Shan,

    When I saw the photo of you, my first thought was "Silver crown". To me, it looks like you are wearing a beautiful crown... a powerful goddess emerging in you! Trust the process of becoming! It is sacred!

    Much love,
    Sonya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonya! You're so sweet. If only I could hairspray my hair into place and walk around like this.
      As it is, when it's down, it looks like crappy old roots. lol.
      But I will hold to your words and trust the process of becoming. Who knows what lurks beneath, right?
      Big hugs.

      Delete
  3. You are lucky your natural hair is dark, so it looks more salt and pepper. My color is brown and grey, so it looks more drab. So it could be worse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny Marie, because I think we always think what the other one has is better than ours. By that I mean, my friend and I were talking the other day and she has very few greys, they are spread out all over her head, so she feels like they stick out at random. To me, they blend in and you can hardly notice them. She wishes she had a streak.
      You have brown hair so you think it looks drab, to me, silver sisters with brown hair have an easier time because their grey blends in a bit more than with dark hair.
      And then there are the blonds whose grey hair seems to grow in easily and their transition looks effortless. I'm sure it's not.
      I think this process challenges us each in a unique way and encourages us to evolve. If it were easy, we might have done it years ago.
      But thank you for thinking I'm lucky. I appreciate that.
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. You go girl! If you're this beautiful at the point you hate this transition the most, imagine how you'll be in a couple of years when the end result is in sight!

    I watched an episode of 'Loose Women' here the other day, where Nadia Sawalha had her grey roots on show, and she too looked absolutely beautiful. She's struggling too, and on the show they did a quick do-over with one of those dark sprays on her roots, and within a minute, she had brown hair only on show. So if you ever feel you 'need' to cover up because of those pressures of what's expected from your tv people, that could be a non-permanent solution. The video is here if you want to see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAkiqqlwSlc

    Keep being you, that's always the best answer :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Janice,
      You're so lovely thanks darling. I will def check out the video. I have temporary root spray. In fact I have it in both dark brown and silver so I can go either way. Lol.
      For the moment, I feel quite settled in my decision and I'm just going to buckle up and see where this ride takes me. I have a funny feeling (like so many others) that even if I'm not 100% in love with it, I don't imagine I'll be able to go back.
      If anything I may do lolights for the rest of my life if I really hate it. Lol.
      At least we have options, right?
      Big hugs

      Delete
    2. Low lights sounds a great option too. I think just mix it up until you find a combo that works at the time. Then change as necessary as it grows. It'll be like living art :-) xx

      Delete
    3. Yes, that's the best plan. I plan to let it evolve organically and I'll adjust as it grows.
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. It’s beautiful and striking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you’re well, my sweet, and kicking butt!

    Well my dear, you will have a sister in solidarity. I’m gonna give this a shot. I don’t have the pretty crown you have, it’s mostly my temples, but let’s see.

    My hair is thinning and my husband (bless him) outright blamed it on the chemicals and suggested I stop coloring it.

    My hair is bob length, but since it is dyed it will look faded and weird, I want to cut it short for awhile so I’d have less gross faded brown to deal with.

    Any suggestions welcome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is amazing news, Gia. I'm sure if you've only got a little grey your transition will be a bit easier. It seems each woman taking this journey has her own path, but my suggestions are to arm yourself with inspiration. Find images of women with the hair you're aiming for.
      So hit up IG - look for @grombre #silversisters etc.
      Look on pinterest for ideas.
      If you're planning to cut your hair then the transition should be a snap. Or that's what lots of ladies say.
      The trick is to keep your hair healthy and your style sharp. Grey hair can look a bit fuddy duddy if we don't manage our manes.
      Keep me posted! I cannot wait to hear how it goes for you.
      xoxoxo

      Delete