Wednesday, June 17, 2015

It's hard being a girl.

If there is anything that I know for sure, it's that it's hard being a girl. But you know what else I've learned? It's even harder being a woman. At least as a girl you have good skin, the future is stretched out for miles ahead, and everything seems possible.

As the clock ticks on, years pass, and you struggle to accomplish all of those goals you so gleefully set for yourself, life can get a little taxing. You can get worn out. But there are many things you can do to counter those feelings. You can eat well, live well, love, move your body, get fresh air, meditate, drink lots of cool refreshing water, copious glasses of wine might seem helpful while you're drinking them but those can have side effects, reading inspiring quotes, learning what those you admire have done and the list goes on.

I have a calendar by my bedside. It's a daily one where you rip off the previous day and you get a new picture for the new day. I generally buy ones with photos of flowers or cute puppies but this year I opted for a quote calendar. So each day I flip the date and get a new thought for the day. Some are silly, some boring, some are great reminders and today was a good one. The message today was: If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think a negative thought.

Wow, that's some serious truth right there.

I've been in transition. He Who Shall Not Be Named and I had decided it was time for a change so we packed up, got in our old red truck and drove across the country to start a new life (ish). It's still us in our life, but a new place, new possibility that kind of thing. We chose to make a bit of a holiday out of it, but being on the road and living out of a bag for over six weeks isn't always what it's cracked up to be. I wasn't getting the exercise that my age requires of me to maintain a good weight. Plus my diet left a LOT to be desired. Pizza, burritos, cake, cookies, chocolate, fried breakfast - oh lordissa how I love a fried breakfast.

Now, two and a half months later, as I sit in my bedroom typing this letter to you noble reader, I feel bad. I feel bad about myself. My weight has climbed up almost to the height it was before I ever started Tracy's 30-Day Method in September 2010. I've gained inches everywhere. Even my skin feels too tight. And yes, I know now that I've moved into my new place and things are settling into a routine I can get back to my six days a week with Tracy and I can try to curb my enthusiasm for everything sweet and carby, do all the stuff I should have been doing on the road but lost the will to do and I'll get back into my skinny jeans - but I feel bad.

But having a keen understanding of the importance of what we think and what we throw out there into the universe, I decided two things needed to be done. One, I needed to come here and confess how awful I feel about myself in order to snap out of it and two, I need to make a public declaration of my commitment to going sugar free. Again. Can you say yo-yo? Can you say merry-go-round? Hey, I didn't quit smoking on the first try either so bear with me.

My plan is two-fold. The first part of the plan is to try and find something about myself that I don't find appalling - so here it is -- I feel good about my arms.






I know it's a bit weak and sort of pathetic but I have to start somewhere and I think my arms are okay.

Next, I am hosting a dinner party for some very dear friends this Saturday, one of whom owns a gelato shop and is bringing homemade gelato. So rather than feel guilty, or decline I am going to have some. I will enjoy it. In fact there is chocolate in my fridge as I type this. 

So the deal is - if I am going to kick sugar once and for all why not choose a date that I can keep track of and remember? With Sunday being the summer solstice and National Aboriginal Day - I think that will be the perfect day for a fresh start. I'm not saying it's going to be easy or that I won't fail, but I am going to try and I needed to say it out loud to make it real.

Now I am off in search of some chocolate chipped cookies because if I am going to be giving all this up, I want to be sure I cross the absolute faves off the list in the next few days. What's a detox without a lil pre-tox first, am I right? No I'm not right. These are the ravings of a junkie talking. Anyway thanks for reading.

Love you!
xo
Shan



10 comments:

  1. Ha! Must be summer bringing these kind of thoughts in. I actually w ore a bathing suit for the first time in years & not a mom one. yes I have more cottage cheese than the dairy aisle, & declared to never eat a carb again! Then I said, Fuck it! Don't care.
    I also noticed my arms & back looked great & my butt is pretty darn high.

    Also, girl I would kill to have your legs and flowy hair! You're also so talented & kind! I'm green over here!

    I think as we dive deeper into the 40s, our bodies are going to do some interesting things on all different levels so we should just do the best we can and have fun. You know how to take care of yourself & you'll be on track.

    One other note, are you sure you want to abolish sugar? Maybe allow yourself to have it. I think this might be a mental thing & I don't mean addiction. fighting it doesn't really seem to be working. Trust me, I used to go thru a jar of peanut butter & a whole box of cereal in a day.
    I just kept bringing it in the house. Then I noticed the cereal is eaten by my son. The peanut butter last about 3 weeks .
    I do notice that if I'm feeling stressed, or even a little wigged about my weight, etc the Carbapalooza happens.

    Ok TL:DR Maybe the best thing to do is do nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's official, I love you. I love you! I love that you went in a non-mom swimsuit and had the full gamut of emotion from I'm never eating carbs again to fuckit! Brilliant.
      I could never abolish carbs, but I'm not sure they are a problem for me. It's sugar. Sugar sugar. Carbapalooza! So funny. Sugarpalooza is everyday at mine.
      Like Gretchen Rubin - I think I might be an abstainer. Just easier to say no altogether than to try and decide when and how much is okay. So we shall see how it goes.

      As for my hair - girl I chopped it. She ain't so flowy and I'm not loving it. But it will grow.

      I'm with you - lets do our best and forget the rest!
      Big hugs.

      Delete
    2. Aw! Xoxo

      I forgot to mention the turkey sandwich--with potato chip tucked in there-and nap I took after splashing around with the family.

      You do what you need to do to feel better ! You know yourself best. We are behind you no matter what!

      Yeah, Ive been trying to grow out a "what was I thinking" pixie. I'm in various stages of mullet-tude.
      Let's consult each other before any drastic haircuts! Lol!

      Delete
    3. Sandwiches and a swim? Sounds like a perfect day!
      Yikes, you too? A chop seemed like such a good idea at the time and now I am living that "what was I thinking?" pretty regularly. Ack. Ha ha, yes, let's def touch base if we're thinking of getting drastic do's again! Live and learn. Ha ha, oh well you don't know what you don't know and we thought we were gonna love it.

      Delete
  2. Look at your arms!!!! Aren't they the best??? Tracy is just the best full stop. I'm also very happy with my arms and happy to see my legs are getting there... Is the abs that fight harder for me, they just don't get it, do they?. As for the food, I'm with you with the sugar Shan, with you all the way. I am also an abstainer, I can't do little, I can't do small portion. I know what triggers my monster. I've quit cheese for three weeks now. Because when I do cheese I eat everything with it. And it ain't all the cheese. Two days ago we went out to an italian restaurant and I didn't want to have pizza or pasta so the only choice was chicken with goat cheese on top. I ordered that feeling a bit scared the monster might be back, but no, goat cheese doesn't do it for me. I like it, but it won't make me loose my marbles. Cheddar makes me lose it completely. I have a bite of cheddar and my mind just clicks into a Cheddarpalooza junkie crazy woman. And if it's melted and on top of tortilla chips, oh man!!! stop it right there... So yes, cheddar I could have for breakfast lunch and dinner with anything you like, and then that triggers into sugar, chocolate...nasty. So I've given up cheese and also chocolate and sugar. Knowing that sugar per se is not a big problem, my problem is the snacking (which always had cheese in it). I had to quit snacking. Not even an apple. That triggers my monster that demands cheese, chocolate and tortilla chips. I started snacking on nuts, unsalted nuts when I was really hungry which was ok at the beginning, but then it got ridiculous.. ok Nat, one handful, not five, so now the only thing that I allow myself to snack is dehydrated broccoli which they sell in a chips bag, and you snack it as if you were having chips, and it's surprisingly delicious and keeps me satisfied for a long time. So when you give up sugar I'll be there with you, sharing some sugar free recipes which I've saved for you (hello popsicles) and I'll mourn with you, we can cry together over the cookies and the cheddar that keeps on whistling at me at the grocery store....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg - Natalia! I laughed out loud when when I read your snack is dehydrated broc. I mean I bet is is fab because I happen to really like kale chips but is this what has become of us in our 40's? Wow. I'm with you on the cheese but cannot cut it completely. I find it a bit easier to manage but the sweet stuff? No way! So today is day one.
      It's gonna get harder before it gets easier, but we've done it before right? and yes, Tracy is the best! Love you sister! Thanks for the support. Glad to know you'll be walking the path right along side me. That's going to help. If I crave sugar or am tempted I'll just think, Nat's not having any, so neither will I. Done.

      Delete
  3. Love all these posts!

    Ok Shan, we are all here behind you, supporting you in whatever way we can - long distance may have its physical limitations, but we are with you in spirit.
    No one knows your body like you, and I don't think you are alone with the moderation issue.
    I know it sounds crazy, but I am like that with nuts and raisins - a so called 'healthy' choice in their own way, but once I start eating them, the bag is gone in a second.

    You deserve to feel good in your skin - we all do, and so lets not belittle that importance by weighing it down with political correctness 'love yourself no matter what' blah blah blah.
    Though I agree with that in principle, its also soooo important to ones spirt to feel that you look good - your arms are fab! Soon you will feel great about the rest of you - the best thing is that you know it can be done, you have a method that works! You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Lots of love

    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol thanks Sophie, I love this. I'm so happy to hear that you get it. Because I am not grossly overweight, people often do say, what are you talking about, you look fine. Fine compared to what? A pregnant elephant?
      It is about being comfortable and feeling good, so that's the plan. Thanks a million for your kind words.

      Delete
  4. Hi Shan,

    (Argh...I just typed this out, and I think it disappeared into the ether, so if it somehow returns and there are two posts...my apologies). That is a great quote! I just scribbled it into my planner as I was reading and sipping coffee this morning. It's so simple, but like so many things...simple, but not easy. I don't have any life mantras per se, but I always try to find the giggle, be nice, tell the truth because lying is exhausting, and tell the compliment to the person as soon as it pops in my head. And then one day I thought, what the heck? I should I should try treat myself the way I treat everyone else. I don't always succeed, but it's only the rare mean-nasty that pops through, and there are way more "atta girls" lobbed towards myself these days. It's nice. I don't know, I didn't mean to sound too Mary Poppins there, but the quote really resonated.

    And perhaps others might disagree, but I think it really takes some serious guts to just say, out loud, to people who care about you, "I feel bad". Not in a complaining or wallow-y way, but just in a truth way. I didn't before. I don't want to now. And I won't in the future. Sometimes I think you just have to spit it out so you can get beyond it. You're tough as nails, so I'm excited to see you rock this s**t out and get back to your sweet spot.

    And I really really really try not to recommend, because each of our own roads is so personal and individual and we carry different stuff with us....but can't we all agree that a sweet calendar with some awesome stickers make getting into a groove so much better? Ka-Stamp! (That's the sound you make when you put the sticker on the date). Maybe it's just me. :)

    Hugs girl,
    myla (divabuddha on Instagram)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Myla,
      Yay, I am so glad the quote spoke to you too. I had to share because it really struck a chord. We can control our thoughts if we choose to and we can choose love, choose happy etc. I really believe it. I like your thoughts on finding the giggle and being honest and true and sharing compliments and yes! Yes, yes, yes, we have got to make the effort to be nicer to us, as nice as we are to others. Full stop!
      Thanks for understanding that my admission was not one of "poor me" rather it was a statement of this is where I am at and I am going to change it!
      And girl you are speaking my language - I am a gold star collector. I get sticky stars every time I complete my workout and am aiming for six a week! It's the absolute best. Bestest best. Glad you do it to.
      Lets thrive together!

      Delete