Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Better Than Before....

I confess... oh yes it's public confession time. I confess that I've been avoiding you. It's not you, it's me. So please don't take it personally. I won't bore you with all the sad sorry details. It's one of the reasons that I hadn't been writing. I was feeling all sorts of negative emotions and I did not want to put that out into the world. I hadn't been ready to come back until today I guess.

First things first - there has been a whole lot going on. At the top of that list has been my heart. It's been ten weeks or so since I've started treatment for an infection in the lining of my lil ticker, this is the first week that I feel almost normal! So that's great news. I have another month to go and then hopefully I'll feel tip top. 

As some of you know, when something big happens in your life, if you're used to checking in with yourself, you tend to re-evaluate. It can be any big thing like in my case a health scare,  or the death of a loved one, or end of a marriage, birth of a child... whatever... you look at your life and ask: "Am I living the life I want to be living?" In my case, the answer was kind of no. I can't complain. We live in one of the most magical places in the world. If you don't believe me, just check out my Instagram page and you can see Spring blooming in all of her magnificent glory. I have an amazing partner whom many of you know as He Who Shall Not Be Named, and we have a great dog. Still my heart and soul are not entirely fed because of work. 

Being a writer, I want to write. You might be asking: "Well then why the heck haven't you been here blogging, for crying out loud?!" I'll get to that in a second, you know how I love to run on.

A few events came together and my beloved and I had a long talk and we have decided to leave Vancouver. We are going to drive across the country next week and make the move to Toronto. I don't as yet have a job out there. There are no guarantees. We don't even have a place. I flew to Toronto over Easter to find a place and it was an epic fail. Suppose that didn't help my sour mood, but I certainly didn't want to come here and moan about it. Hence part of the avoidance.

Doesn't matter. Life has a way of teaching you that there are no guarantees with anything so you may as well live the life you want or at least try for it. Nothing worse than holding a dream that you never really intend to fulfill. That's not me, noble readers. I want to be a working writer. So much of my time has been spent working on a new TV series - a 1900's gangster drama that stars a woman as the lead of all things. It's been all consuming. Still that isn't the reason I haven't been here.

I've been avoiding coming here because just when I felt I'd cleared a space for me, for us, to talk about whatever we wanted, to explore next stages in life, or to even share a short story or two with you (that was my hugest desire and then I became afraid), our girl Tracy Anderson came out with Streaming. 

It was all I could do to limit my love of it to one or two posts. Each new class I wanted to run over and ask: "Did you see that?" or "What did you think of this week's class" or "Wasn't that so hard?" or "It was a love week or a hate week." I'd finally gotten myself away from raving about how great The Tracy Anderson Method was and how much I love the woman who created it. In January she totally had me taking over my instagram with pics and posts of her workouts. It's fabulous. I love it, I love the community that's grown up around the practice, but I wanted more from my space and I became terrified that this was just going to become another Method blog all over again. Nothing wrong with that. I'm just trying to keep out of the "obsession" territory that I'd once lived in.

Does any of that make sense? Or does it just sound whack? I know, Whitney is dead, the expression Whack should have died with her. 

The thing is, in letting go of the obsession, I have also let go of my diet a bit and I put on some weight, then getting sick I've had to ease off the six days a week - doing live stream every day in January nearly killed me. So I've been feeling poorly all around.

But as luck (or life) would have it, I stumbled onto a great new book. I love a good book, who's with me? You know I have such a soft spot in my heart for Gretchen Rubin, right? She wrote "The Happiness Project." Well she has a new book out called "Better Than Before." 
  


And just picking it up reminded me of her ten commandments and that led me to my own Shamandments, the first of which is: Be Shannon. How had I forgotten? Have any of you forgotten the golden rule of being yourself? We sometimes just need a good old fashioned reminder. And isn't it rather fitting that "Mastering" is in the title? I felt it was a personal wink just for me. I had to take it home.

The book is about habits. Why the bad ones are so hard to break. Why the good ones are so hard to make. Why is it tough to create habits even around things we love? Essentially her first book asked: "Can I be happier?" and in Gretchen's own words this book asks: "But seriously, can I be happier?" I'm only halfway through, but already it's setting my world back to right. I feel more confident in me. Who cares if I can't do all the planks in streaming? Who cares if I'm ten pounds overweight? Who cares if people in Vancouver think I'm insane for leaving? I'm okay with all of it. Okay not the ten pounds but I am working on habits that are going to improve all that.

I'm sorry this post is all over the place. It's been such a long time since I've had to table my thoughts into a consistent line of thinking.

Bottom line is this. I was judging myself. Not necessarily being a hateful meanie to myself, but judgie none-the-less. I felt that you'd judge me too. I became afraid to post anything other than stuff about the Method because that's what we're all so used to. I've been super tired and now I am in the process of uprooting my entire life and driving into a future that is entirely uncertain --- like you do when you're sick and tired right? Lol.

Who knows what the future holds, but I think on the other side of this move, I'll be better than before. Or at least that's the hope. My dad says if you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time. I'm sorry that I abandoned you. The next month or so will be insane, but I'll be thinking of you and snapping pictures all the way across the country to share with you. And because I could use the reminder, here are some helpful Shamandments:

Be (Insert your name here) Shannon
Don't be a hateful meanie to myself (or others)
Just do the bleeding cardio already (Tracy took care of that by sneaking it into the live stream - Tracy we will always have a love-hate-love relationship over that)
Know why I'm doing this -- I think this can be amended to know why we're doing anything that we do.
And Make it your own - on my last blog it was about diet and workout, but I think this rule applies to the lives we live, don't you?

So lets make our lives our own and be really sure that we're living the one we want. Check in with yourself and once again, thanks for checking in with me. I've missed you!


Big hugs.
Shan


PS

Maybe it's time for some new Shamandments. Perhaps that will be the next post.

Oh and I have really got to come up with a new color scheme - I was trying to switch things up for spring, but didn't have a whole lot of time, now it's a hot grey mess! Like me - he he he.





 

15 comments:

  1. Oh my dear Miss Shan! I am so happy to see a new post!

    Wow! You are certainly going through a lot. First, I am so glad you are healing physically. Don't sweat the weight gain. Your body is healing and maybe needs more carbs, salt, sugar, fat. etc. You need calories and sometimes green smoothies dont' do it ya'll.

    Second, a move sounds like a good idea. There's probably better opportunites in Toronto. Vancouver was good to you, but it 's time. You never know, you may consider writing/acting? Why not? You'll probably have better networking too. Your TV series sounds exciting!

    Lastly, the TA thing. I personally gave up streaming for Lent. I was streaming, checking TA's instagram, etc, etc. obsessively. One of her followers had a signature line that was a wake up call to me, "Instead of religion, I found Tracy". It made me a little ill.
    George Harrison once said something to the effect that you need Christ, Buddha, Krishna to "drive your chariot" or it's going to crash.
    I wasn't letting God in, I was getting caught in the trap of "earthly things". He knew it, and was reigning me in.
    I may try streaming again, though I heard the workouts are now over an hour, but with new eyes.

    As an aside, it's interesting how almost all religions have a warning against "wanting" and materialism.

    Maybe you need to get in touch with your spirituality?
    It also sounds like you need a nice dose of fun, too!

    Anyway, we are all rooting for you! I can't wait to read the "Chronicles of Toronto"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gia,
      Thanks for the good thoughts. And yes, my spirituality is always within. Even though we are in major flux, I am feeling pretty grounded. I think getting well is helping.
      I understand that feeling of checking instagram etc obsessively, we can be online too much. For me, the workout has to be about joy and my own health, I am unable to keep up with contests and all of that. Especially because the workouts are now longer, who has time? Yikes. But I have to say that so many of the women in the community are amazing and inspiring and supportive. So I love that.

      I'm happy that you're sounding well too and would be delighted to share my chronicles of Toronto with you!
      Big hugs
      Shan
      There are days when I can't even get the workout in.

      Delete
  2. Hey Shan!

    So glad you posted! I was only thinking yesterday how quiet you'd been (me too, sorry!) and was going to message you tonight anyway.

    I think you're doing the right thing in moving to Toronto. You said yourself, that's where the writing is so I'm sure when you get there you'll reap the rewards.

    The extra 10 lbs? I have those too, I think it's both stress and our bodies telling us it can't do everything well all the time. When the time is right they will shift again and we will feel great. But don't rush it, just get your little ticker right first and then see how you want to progress.

    I actually saw that book a little while ago and thought of you, I knew you'd already have it ;-) It's great when something touches you and you just 'get it' (or it 'gets you'!).

    Tracy does tend to breed obsessive natures in people unfortunately. At least you've recognised that you can't and shouldn't try to keep up with it 6 days for the moment, and who cares if you don't post every little new move on Instagram - Tracy still loves you, you're paying her every month after all!

    Glad you're ok and have new things to look forward to, keep us posted on how it's going and let's take this year forwards in a positive way :-)

    Love you!
    Janice x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janice! It's been too long sister. I figured you were super busy too. But thinking of you and thinking of your mum often. Hope you're both well.
      Ha ha look at us and our little extra weight. It's okay. Like Gia said, sometimes we need it.
      I think we as women can be obsessive, it isn't Tracy or the Method, it can be anything, food, fitness, work, our kids etc.
      Finding and keeping balance is key. That's what I aim to do as we start off on our new life. Eeeee.
      xoxoxo

      Delete
    2. Balance will definitely be required if you're to stay happy and grounded with your move and everything going on. Be kind to yourself and we need to catch up v. soon!!! xx

      Delete
  3. Hey! I have actually been looking to see if you had posted. I hope that you are feeling well and getting better. I congratulate you for moving forward with something that you want even though you don't know the outcome, I can see it being completely freeing and scary!

    Hmm Tracy. I love that girl! I don't know why I had been fighting the META for so long. I am on level 7 and she is just magical and I mean.......who wouldn't obsess about what a great and positive change she has made in your life! It's nice to see you back!

    Be well!
    Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jeannette,
      Thanks for checking in girl. Yes, this move is exciting and liberating and totally terrifying. I keep thinking "at my age?" - with everything. Should I be relocating, should I be starting over, is it wise to try and transition from film to tv - all with that dreaded "at my age" thing on the end.
      I am going to get older no matter what so may as well follow the path and see where it leads right?
      Level 7! Good for you. I still remember level 9 and it scares me, ha ha ha. And yes Tracy has definitely made a positive impact. I do love her.
      Good luck with the rest of Meta, let me know how it goes for you!

      Delete
  4. Love you, Shan. Thinking of you always and although I'm miles away - I'm always here! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Darling. Hey I just packed my "it's champagne O'clock" T-shirt. Can't wait till we wear them together. Love you too.

      Delete
  5. Love this! I wrote a big reply, but lost it (working from a phone isn't my forte :p) more later!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shan,
    So great to read this blog!! I have missed you! I am with you on the obsessive nature. My husband is always calling me on my OCD behavior when it comes to certain things like workout. I constantly remind myself to listen to my body and not try to do what everyone is doing. Everyone else didn't have to take a year off after destroying my piriformis like I did. I need to figure out what I can do and make adjustments. That is kind of my theme in life ...to figure things out and make the necessary adjustments for what I need. The only constant in our lives is change.

    I know it's hard moving to a new city, especially one that is so far from "home" or Vancouver, but home is where and what you make it. Remember it may not be forever, you can always go back to Vancouver but the adventure driving across the city and settling in a new place is part of your journey. We moved a few years ago from NYC to Chicago for work. I had similar feelings and I still miss NYC tremendously and consider that my home, but for our family it was the right move and we have a good life here. I recognize it is part of my journey to find happiness where ever I am (even in a Midwest winter!). I was born and raised in Toronto, so I can tell you there are a lot of great places and things to do there especially for your industry. Plus the construction has exploded in recent years....so many people are moving there! It is an exciting place to be these days! I can't wait to see more photos as you do your drive and as you settle in. Big hugs!
    Sarah (mimiandmenyc)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sarah,
      I absolutely love New York, but Chicago is a very close second. It's so similar to Toronto that you must often get a sense of deja vu. We do have to carve our own paths and make our own way, regardless of what anyone else is doing. You're so right.
      Moving sucks, leaving the perfect Van weather sucks, but I love Toronto and do consider it my home. I lived there for 12 years so we still have a great community there, that will be our saving grace I think. Plus I am excited to see what kind of little home we can create together as we start this next chapter.
      Hope your hip is feeling better, those deep rotators kill when they get injured, I know it!
      xo

      Delete
  7. Hey Shan,
    I don't know how but I seen to have missed this post! I've been thinking about you and your little heart quite a lot recently and checked in here once in a while but somehow totally missed this - doh! I'm sorry it's been a really tough few months for you but glad that you can write about it now. For me, and I'm no way as much of a clever writer as you, I can't write about something until I've had time to mull it over first and make sense of it......and only then does pen go to paper, or in this modern world.......fingers to iPad!
    I've often thought of you and the epic road trip you're on at the moment (yeps stalkerish tendencies of Instagram going on over here!) and though I know such a journey must be daunting when it isn't just a holiday but rather an actual move I hope you're still inspired by the wind in your hair, the miles clicking away under your feet and the absolutely beautiful scenery you're seeing........that would inspire me! You'll be writing a master piece in no time!
    I didn't know you'd lived in Toronto before.......that's great to know as then it's not so much a stranger to you, but rather someone you just need to get to know again..........Vancouvers loss will most definitely be Torontos gain. I just have such a good feeling for you guys, that it's going to be amazing, sure it might take a bit of time to settle in and feel like 'home'.......but it's going to be amazing!
    I love your shamandments too, in fact I've often thought of them as frankly they're ace, number 1 especially is something I've said to myself lots over the last 9 months (though obviously changed it to my name as that would just be weird!!!!) Perhaps like you said, add some new rules in a new place........I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
    And then I must say........10lbs, I mean seriously missy.......in the grand scheme of things that is just not important right now! And I'm nothing just saying that........I'm in the same boat, different situation I know but similar poundage, but both our bodies are busy healing and working very hard at that. Our bodies are frigging amazing and, I'm guilty of it too at times, we take them for granted! We need to let them do their thing and then in time we'll get back to our ideal weights, fit our clothes better or do as many crazy plank moves as Ms Anderson herself (ok maybe not but you know what I mean!)
    So be kind to yourself.........close your eyes and smile as you shoot down those roads..... the world is so open to you right now, daunting hell yes.......but wow so exciting too!! h xx x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hanna,
      You're an absolutely amazing writer and like you I am guilty of not checking in as much as I'd like with your blog, but do love following along with you on IG, you're so talented and inspiring.
      Thank you for the gentle reminder to be kind to myself and I definitely am enjoying the wind in my hair in this trip - so much so I haven't really been able to keep up with IG, too busy living real time. I love when that happens, don't you?
      and again you're right, what's ten pounds. I am looking forward to getting feeling better and finding a routine once I find a home and a job. Not too much to ask for is it? lol
      Big hugs.

      Delete