Wednesday, January 21, 2015

This life ain't easy...

It's been a while since I've written because I've just not been moved to show up and do it. I've been a bit of a drop out lately. But before I get to that, I must tell you of the miracle that occurred at my house this morning. A genuine bonafide miracle I tell you.

Not a morning person me. Also so not a cardio person. You may or may not have heard of Live Streaming with Tracy Anderson. Most of you here have because we're all TAMMERS (Tracy Anderson Method Users) but in the event that you haven't - essentially Tracy does a master class in her studio each week and it's filmed every Wednesday and made available to those of us who are just mad enough to want to take our fitness challenge to the next level. So we're able to have the same experience of doing a class with Tracy in real time, same as her studio clients - only we get to do it from the comfort of our own homes for a whole lot less money. In any case - each Wednesday the workout that you did the previous week will disappear and you're given a brand new class to do for a week. But I absolutely fell in love with last week's class. I cannot explain how or why this happened, but the first 20 minutes of this class has the best music ever and it's super dancey - almost like a beginner hip-hop modern dance combo - with added weight for the second half of that 20 minutes.

Sound crazy? It kind of is. But knowing it would be gone today. I (me the girl who hates to dance almost more than getting up in the morning) set my alarm, got up early and got my dance on! Holla! Yes I did. He Who Shall Not Be Named was like: "What the hell is happening? Are you dancing? Is it morning? Who are you?"

So yes, it's official - Tracy Anderson has performed a miracle! You read it here first people!

Part of the reason I'm so attached might actually be the music - this song most especially.


Something about this song makes me want to lose myself in the music and in the dance that Tracy has put together for her week 5 class. But it's more than that. It's this promise that we (the girl in the song and whomever she is singing to - in this case, me) don't have to be ordinary. We could be Heroes.

Why does that resonate? Because life has been really hard lately, for so fucking many people that I love, people that I care for, family, friends and co-workers.

Here is the abridged version of events as they've swirled around me, each touching my life in a whole host of ways. Three people that I care about, one being my Aunt, another a dear colleague and the third, an online friend -- each got a cancer diagnosis. It hurts to see those lovely women have to suffer while all you can do is stand by and pray, hold out a hand, offer a hug or kind word.

A couple very close to me whom I love with all of my heart are really going through a rough time. Not being in their marriage I cannot speak to what has happened, or why, or what the eventual out come will be - but I can say this. As  person who loves them, it would be a whole hell of a lot easier if I could just pick a side and make the other one the bad guy. But I cannot. I can absolutely see this sad situation from each of their points of view. I can offer a shoulder, an ear, some words of comfort and support but I cannot help them through this or out of it - it's like winter -- the only way out of it and into spring is through it, they must endure. It's hard on them, on me, but even harder on their children who want so desperately for the world to be black and white and it simply is not.

If that's not enough, the book store that I work at part time is closing its doors. The announcement was made this week. This isn't bad news for me - I am a writer - this was a part time gig for me. But I cannot help but think of my managers, one most especially because his wife is expecting a baby in a month. What will he do? Where will he go? There are a couple of older employees who have been there for decades. What about them? This is how they support themselves and soon that place they felt at home in will no longer be.

Sad. Sad. Sad. But there is a takeaway from all of this.

At any moment in this life we can lose our health, the love of our lives, or our livelihood. This world, it's temporary. It just makes my mantra - my virtue of the this month so much more potent. Seize the day. Live in the now. Reach for happy feeling thoughts. Do things that make you feel good with people that you love. Support and care for one another. Take the time to listen, to communicate with everything and everyone around you because none of us knows how long we got or how much time we have with each other. Think about it.

So yeah, that's why I've been MIA. I've had a heavy heart. Part of what's been keeping me going is what some may think of as a silly exercise program - but it's so much more than that. It's a life line to health, to a community of really caring women who are dedicated to being there for their families and each other, it's a commitment to my own good health and on the days where the world just feels like it's all too much and I want to break down and weep... Tracy Anderson bounces onto the screen, she smiles and she works me out. She teaches me new moves and shows me my power. For that one hour a day that I take for myself - I feel worthy of self-love and self-care so that I can be there and offer that love and care to the people around me.

Life is fragile - please take care of yours.
xox
Shan

17 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you're having a hard time! Hey, we all need to lay low & hide under the covers sometimes!

    I'm glad you have something that is helping you cope. Please continue taking care of yourself & hug that cute puppy of yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gia. That's the strange thing. It's not my hard time, it's watching and witnessing the hard time of the people that I care about and not being able to do much. I feel like a lot of my thoughts and energies are being directed toward them, so I've been sort of holding a light and turning within to help it generate more power. (that sounds wonky and far out but I don't know how else to articulateit) So everything else, stuff like blogging and instagramming and other activities seem to take that much more energy.
      I have been participating in the Instagram contest but it feels a bit like my battery is getting drained from it, so I have to pick and choose where my time goes. I don't know how anyone keeps up with all of it - twitter, facebook, IG, email, and manages to have a life! Whew.
      But seriously loving the workouts, they're definitely feeding me and helping me hold balance.
      And I'm so glad you're in it too. It's so nice to be doing it with friends.
      xo

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry Shan about your aunt and your friends. It's a terrible ordeal and you know I'm not a stranger to all this. My father died of cancer and it has been one of the worst blows that life threw at me and I've had a few.. But... Faith is so important. You've got to have faith, It's a terrible illness but it can be beat, the journey is hard but it can be done. We ought to be their most faithful believers in their recovery, and give them all the love and understanding... I know how hard it is though, sometimes we don't know what to do, what's the best advice, when to call or not... it is really hard and sad, and I really am sorry..
    I'm also really sorry about your friends splitting up. A friend of mine went through a terrible divorce last year and because she was alone ( her family lived miles away) she only had me as the shoulder to cry on, and her divorce was bitter and two children were involved and it was so hard. I ended up feeling very drained at the end because she was a mess and I sometimes didn't know how to help. She is much better now but the kids are not that well. As parents, when we're hurt we don't realize that when we want to hurt our spouse, our children end up paying for the broken pieces. All the threats, and shouts and insults that they witness is like a dagger in their little hearts. They can't bear it. So please tell them to be civil, and nice and understanding to each other, for the sake of their children... I know I don't give the best advice but these all feels really close to home, so you know where I am if you need me...
    And I'll see you in class rocking and rolling !!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalia, I remember how hard it hit when your dad passed. Is it possible we've known each other all this time? It's hardest to feel helpless when those around you suffer. What do you say to the man who's wife is about to give birth and he's going to lose his job? The two people who loved each other so much and now seem unable to communicate or to those going through the nasty treatments of chemo - we cannot go through it for them. We can only support, but you're right it takes everything we've got.
      So I am sorry I've not been here more but I am right there with you and barbie on the shelf doing the class.
      Big hugs.

      Delete
  3. Shannon,
    Am so sorry to hear about such sadness and uncertainty for your friends. It is so hard to watch your friends go through such troubling times. It's so hard but providing them love, support, and being there for them as a good friend is so powerful. As you say you can't go through it for them but it sounds like you are there for them if they need someone to talk to or a shoulder to cry. This is so huge and amazing. Start from a place of love instead of a place of hopelessness. Big hugs,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sarah
      I totally agree. Always try to choose love over fear. It's never the wrong answer.
      Big hugs.

      Delete
  4. have you ever watched "The Kroll Show"? He does a great spoof of "Degrassi" called " Wheels Ontario".

    I thought it might make ya smile http://youtu.be/jWohhABEzJQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't Gia, but I'll check out the link. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. I think that the bad times and troubles of those we love are worse than enduring them ourselves.

    I have nothing helpful to add, but we're all sending you hugs,

    Momsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be Mimsy--and that wasn't even the first typo. I was this close to sending you jugs.

      Delete
    2. Were those jugs filled with wine? Is that why you were Momsy? Ha ha - I got a good giggle out of this! Thanks.

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear about all this sad news, Shan. I do know that each and every one of the people you mention are so very lucky to have you in their lives - and to have your support and kind thoughts. Big hugs to you.

    On a much lighter note - I know what you mean about TA - based on your feedback and encouragement, I subscribed to the streaming classes and I LOVE them. I also love seeing the supportive community on Instagram. Those classes really kick my butt and tear me up, and for some reason, the whole thing is just exactly what I need right now.

    Hang in there - and know that when I first attempt the most ridiculous, painful new move in Week 7, I'll be thinking about you and sending you smiles. Hopefully that will get me through it :) xoxo Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, that's so fabulous! I'm so glad that you signed up. Isn't it the best? A few other of the original Method girls - Tricia, Jennifer, Gia - we're all in it. And isn't there something so cool about doing it all together as opposed to being on a level all by yourself? It's fabulous. Can't wait for week 7! And thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  7. Hugs and well wishes in your direction. I've been in a similar scenario(s), and I empathize. Wish I had some sage advice, but, alas, no such luck. Except maybe ... bring in laughter when possible. I have no idea if that actually helps anyone else, but it makes me feel a bit better.

    Dance your pants off. That always perks my spirits (maybe throw on some leg warmers just for giggles).

    xoxo,
    myla

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Shan,
    Sorry I'm late adding my two penneth to this. I do feel for you, it's hard when you care so much and can't actually do much to help the situations other people are in. I'm sure that just knowing you're concerned for them and care enough to allow their pain rule your heart is enough for them.
    I'm glad the workouts have given you extra energy for life in another way again though, and happy that there are so many other people sharing the journey with you! I hope Tracy gives you extra special marks for some of your Instagrams and picks you as one of her winners. And that song above, I've been singing that very loudly in my car on the way to work when it comes on the radio, I love it too, it's so uplifting!
    Hope you're having a good weekend, it's freezing here so I'm wrapping up warm! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey buddy,
      It's so great to hear from you. Thanks for your kind thoughts. LiveStream has been so amazing, I do plan to write about it, just have to find the time. I am def not the winner in all of this - there are so many super fit, dedicated women who execute the method perfectly, where as I can barely keep up so...
      Keep warm. Sending big hugs.

      Delete