Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Equinox

It just occurred to me that I am a day late with this. Whoops. I wanted to write about it anyway since Autumn is one of my absolute favorite seasons. The others of course are summer, spring and winter. Ha ha ha. I love a new season like I love a new pair of shoes or a new hat!

I looked it up on Wikipedia  - which as you know knows everything - and according to them "the oldest meaning of Equinox is the day when daytime and night are of approximately equal length." Perfect balance. Yin and Yang. Beautiful symmetry. How can that not inspire us? 

I recently read that when our bodies are in a state of well being, that there is a perfect balance within us between catabolism (breaking down) and anabolism (building up). And if these two forces get out of whack, disease can occur.

It got me thinking about the Equinox of our lives. From my limited understanding, I'd say that we definitely have seasons. This is kind of obvious. Childhood is our spring, late teens through late 30's would be our summer, glorious fall might be the next two decades depending on our health, with winter taking us into a ripe old age. 



But is there an Equinox within that? Part of me asks the question for our physical selves, while another part of me wonders about our spirit. Is there some moment in time when we stand in absolute perfect balance between growth and decay? And when would we say that was? Would we even recognize that time? And could the same even be said for the spirit if we really are vibrational eternal beings? Perhaps this physical experience is just a season in some much larger seasonal picture that we're unable to perceive from here.

When I think about fall and the days that lay beyond the autumn equinox, I can't help but lament the shortening daylight, but there is something to love in the growing darkness that leads us into winter. It draws us within. Don't you find on these crisper, shorter days that you're actually able to ask questions such as these? I'm not sure that decay is something to be feared. If you look around you, you'll see the brilliant and fiery hues of this magnificent season. We could not experience that color without decay. If we never stopped running, we'd never be going slow enough to witness the beauty in the everyday moment. Perhaps the equinox of our lives is our eventual passing out of this physical existence into the ocean that is spirit and in that exact moment of crossing over - there is that balance. Like being halfway into a tunnel, there is light at either end in equal measure.

I don't have the answers.

Today just felt like a day for asking questions. For cleaning the windows of our perception to be able to see beyond our physical world into something deeper and richer. No matter what season you find yourself in, I hope you'll take a moment today to stand in your space, to fill it with all that you are, and appreciate every beauty that your season has to offer.

Welcome to amazing Autumn, people.

xo
Shan

4 comments:

  1. Wow - I think this is one of the most beautiful things I've read of yours, Shan. Your writing is so powerful and captivating and so rich. Thanks for this. xoxo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna. Sometimes there are only questions and I guess this was one of those days. I am feeling a little freer to speak my mind here so that feels good. Thanks for the support and encouragement.

      Delete
  2. Yes - beautiful post! I do find myself inspired by the graying skies in contrast to the brilliance of the fall colours and that the trees are "dying" right now - but look so amazing. It is good time to be inspired to soul-search:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall is the best time for inner reflection. As things are dying or going into hibernation it feels natural to look within as well.

      Delete