Monday, April 11, 2016

April's Virtue

Hey there. I had to pop in here tonight to share my virtue pick for the month of April. Yes I do realize that we are already a third into the month, but better late than never right?

When I turned the calendar over, there was a photo of a still crystal drop of water on a newly opened spring leaf as the photo for the month and it rang out peace, serenity, tranquility, bliss. So without a thought I penned in Peace as the virtue. However, sometimes the month itself has a way of dictating what I need to practice and as it turns out I needed a bit of Faith. I mean who am I kidding, I can always use more peace, but faith struck a truer chord with me so I am trusting my instincts on it.

As some of you may know, last September my genius and guru-like friend Jackie called me out on my self-deprecating ways, how I always seemed to apologize for my very presence in a room as if I were taking up too much space and how I really didn't appear to believe in myself. I write 'seemed' because it is past tense for me. Not entirely, not all the way, I am not filled to the brim with confidence and courage... yet. But since her suggestion of starting a Believe Jar (if you don't know what that is and are keen to find out, go HERE.) my self worth has shot way up. I can honestly look myself in the mirror and say: You're alright Masters. 

I'm not all the way there yet, perhaps we're never all the way there. Maybe that's the point of life, that in order to evolve and grow, we have to continue to reach deeper within and stretch farther than yesterday. Don't ask me, I'm just a blogger trying to navigate my way through my midlife here okay?

But it was during a recent meeting when I heard some pretty impressive stuff being said -- about me! -- that I became acutely aware that while I may now feel like I am okay, perhaps even enough, I still lack a greater sense of faith and confidence in my own gifts and talents. That's a hard one to confess here in public for anyone in the world to read, but it's true.

The meeting was about a current project of mine that has been an eternity in development, plagued with all matter of setbacks, yet still manages to live and breathe... the producers who optioned the piece were on a conference call with me and our potential new director. I had the worst migraine headache so for the most part I simply lay back and listen and what I heard was astounding. They spoke of me in the most generous of terms paying my work, experience, and abilities a multitude of compliments. It was as if I were not on the line listening. I was instead a fly on the wall overhearing a private conversation and I was blown away. They made me cry. 

I wondered how it was that I had never ever once seen myself in the way they had described me? How was it possible that people whom I respect and admire, who have been in the industry since I was in junior high could say such incredible things... about me? I started to pay closer attention to my self dialogue and I realized that all this time I'd been seeing myself as a novice, having nascent talent that still had miles to go, as an apprentice, as an opening act at best but never the headliner? And worse, how had I not realized that I'd been running this dialogue for the better part of a dozen years. People say I'm an award winning screenwriter and I respond with well sure but...

They tell me that they loved my film and I ask them if they're drunk. Whoa. Some shit's not lining up here. How the heck do we expect to get ahead in this world if deep inside we don't really believe we're worthy? Ask me if I'm capable I'll say hell yeah. Am I diligent? Yep. Dedicated? Of course. But talented? Gifted? Experienced? Deserving? I shrink. I get scared. I feel small. Well that's just no good.

I need to believe in myself all the way, not just that I'm a kind and good person, a loyal friend, someone who is punctual. I am very punctual btw! (maybe just not where getting the monthly virtue out on time is concerned) I need to believe that I am really good at what I do. Is there a learning curve where certain jobs are concerned? You bet your ass there is. But am I willing to apply myself and learn? Damned straight I am. But I will do the work necessary.

So... FAITH it is. Faith in myself as a writer. Faith in my gifts and talents. Faith that all will be well. Faith that great things are on the way for me. Faith that yes, the universe is indeed running on time. And faith that things always have a way of working out. Just like beneath the snow the world seems lifeless, but each winter we have faith that spring will eventually arrive.




So here we go...

The next adventure. Take a look at your own life. Are you doing exactly what you want to be doing? Have you allowed yourself to really dream and imagine what your life could be? Are you standing in your own way? Do you believe that you're unique and the world needs what you've got? If the answer isn't a resounding YES! then perhaps it's time you shone a light into those dark corners and began to cultivate a little faith of your own in that spirit garden you got growing over there. The snow is about to clear people, lets grow more than weeds this year.

xoxo
Shan



6 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you finally get to believe in yourself. As a member of your fan club I won't get tired to say that I think you're an amazing super talented writer, film writer, an amazing person and an amazing friend... But you have to believe in yourself first... And it's great to see that you finally are. You should walk in the room and own it Shan Masters, because you are beautiful and unique and you should be well proud!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalia!! What on earth did I do to deserve you darling. Thank you so so much for your kind words. I love you.

      Delete
  2. As is so often Shan, I am sat here struggling to put words to thoughts so that they make sense to another human being.
    There are so many things about you that I admire, and yes some of them are the ones you mentioned - loyal friend, diligent worker, creative soul, thoughtful in the extreme, but also self respecting...
    To try and shine any doubt on these gifts would be like trying to say that we can all dance like Beyonce - and we know how that goes.

    In addition to the above, I feel as if I learn a lot from you, you are someone whose opinion I value very highly.
    Sometimes the timing of when you share thoughts its as if we are all of one collective mind - they seem to land at just the right time - when they are needed.

    You ARE a screenwriter.
    Thats it the end of the sentence.
    Though I would like to interject the words 'soulful', intelligent', 'delicate of hand' and 'collaborative' into that sentence.

    When I think about those people around me whom I admire, those people who just seem to 'have their shit together', they mostly seem to have one thing in common - peace within themselves, they accept themselves, and don't judge or berate themselves too heavily when things don't quite work out as they planned.
    There are so many people like this who only have a tiny fraction of the talent you have, and they are going great guns.
    So its an incredible thought to imagine how far you can go, as now you not only have talent but also belief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophie, I am always so blown away by your thoughtfulness and generosity. Honestly I have no words. All I can say is that I thank my lucky stars to have both you and Natalia in my life.
      I feel the same about you. The photos of your work, seeing your work in films, it would be the greatest honor to one day have the opportunity to work with you!
      So much love.

      Delete
  3. Oh Shan.... :)

    Now I'm going to ruin that perfect little sentiment with a lot of ramble-y words. I'm so sorry for your migraine (my husband gets them...it breaks my heart sometimes), but I'm so grateful for the out of body experience it afforded you to sort of see yourself as others do. Holy cow! It's a reflection of not just your work, or work ethnic, but your general Shan-ness essence. That shit is powerful. You radiate something special, which is a combination of all sorts of things/pieces/bits and bobs of a person, and it rings true to others. Me, for one. Girl, I never "comment" on the Internet. On anything. Ever.

    I'm super grateful that you are part of my life. It's been so lovely getting to know you. I think you're totally rad.

    Also, I read (and am still reading) a ton of introspective books lately (I'm trying to think off the top of my head...All Brene Brown, Jen Sincero's "You are a Badass", "Creativity, Inc." by the head of Pixar, Ed Cat-something, Jenny Lawson (who is humor, but there's some real zingers in there), Thich Nhat Hanh, etc. Somehow these books just keep popping up in front of me. I eat them up like candy. I think they came across my path for a reason, and there are themes in there that have been paralleled in a good number of your posts. When things like that happen, and stuff lines up...my brain always pings and is all, "pay attention now...this is important...universe talking".

    So much love to you my friend. And faith. xo,
    myla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brain pings "pay attention" every time you comment, you really are my little Diva Buddha.
      I think you're the raddest, so to have compliments like the above from you sets me over the moon. You're so fabulous. Thank you for checking in. Love you.

      Delete