Tuesday, October 27, 2015

The Keys to the Kingdom!

Hello and Happy Taurus full moon super moon Tuesday to you. How's that for a day. If you're energy is all over the map today or your witnessing some cray behavior all around you that might be why.

So...

How've you been? What's new and wonderful in your world? Been a long time friends and I have got a lot to say tonight so why not settle in with a nice cozy cup of tea and share an adventure that's been over two years in the making. It's cool. Go make your tea... I'll wait.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You back? Good. Get comfy it's gonna be a long one. Do you remember Mastering The Method, my blog about fitness, food, and let's be honest everything Tracy Anderson? If you were a reader or if you know me (even a little bit), you know that one of the biggest challenges I've faced in my post 30's life is balance where my diet is concerned. I could never find it. Like my exploration with fitness I tried everything that everyone ever recommended to me from The Kettle Bell Goddess workout to Physique 57, P90-X to practically every single DVD that fucking Beach Body ever pumped out until I hit upon a little Mat DVD created by Tracy Anderson and then I knew I'd found my path?

Yeah, my food journey has been even longer. Oh lordissa so much longer and filled with lots more ups and downs and bumps in the "rocky road" - lil throw back to ice cream there for all my sugar-junkies out there. I call us junkies because if like me you crave sugar it becomes your crack. I tried it all. All the quick fixes cleanses and detoxes, the master cleanse where you only drink like water with cayenne pepper and lemon and maple syrup, remember that one? That ended in a giant vat of pasta. Yikes. Or what about the cabbage soup diet. Still get a twitch whenever I smell cooked cabbage. 

I have been a vegetarian for a million years so naturally Skinny Bitch caught me for a while. The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone was a fave but I think I just made and ate way too many of her vegan chocolate peanut butter cups. I read French Women Don't Get Fat, The China Study, The Every-girl's Guide to Diet and Fitness, just about everything that Bethenny Frankel has ever written - but I'm sorry if you lack balance and more importantly control, going to a party and having just one mini-quiche ain't gonna cut it biatch! 

Gawd. Did no one understand me? Insert uncontrollable sobbing.

I could go on for pages but I think you get the idea noble reader, you're not an idiot. In fact chances are I'd say you're nodding along with me going "me too! I read that one" and perhaps for you one of those books or plans or cleanses or practices or diets worked, but for me? Not so much.

Of course, I'd never been one for diet changes. As a teen and into my 20's I had one of those enviable metabolisms that could burn pizza like lava cutting through a forest. But once I hit my 30's I was lost and the middle-aged spread started taking over. I just could not understand how I could no longer eat whatever I wanted without side effects. Was there no God?

Hello - Abcentric anyone? I mean geez. I've said it before, I began to resemble a marshmallow stood on toothpicks, or like a watermelon in Lycra. Not pretty.

When Tracy came out with her book, I dove in and I was fully committed (for 30 days). Because it was only 30 days. I could do that. And I did. Her diet worked. I lost over 20 pounds which on my frame was a lot. But it was so low in protein and calories I was suffering all sorts - from migraines to light-headedness and a serious lack of energy. I don't even think that Tracy recommends that diet anymore - we've all evolved.

The long and short of it was this... I managed to keep half the weight off. I went from the 30-Day Method book to 90 days on Metamorphosis (loosely following her diet plan) but from there?? I floundered. Yes I did stick with Continuity and thank goodness for Live Streaming, but I wasn't able to get back to that fab ab weight without starving. 

I could never seem to get that other half of the weight off and dammit I wanted to.


You and I both know that exercise is only part of the equation. We gotta eat right. But what the hell is that anyway? I thought I'd found my way with Kimberly Snyder's Beauty Detox Solution and her glowing green smoothies - still love her and the smoothies are a part of my life but they aren't right every day. I continued to see-saw, two pounds off, four pounds on and was beginning to feel like my life was a continuing failed diet. That is a very depressing place to live my lovelies. Once again I'd resigned myself to a middle-aged metabolism, fine with my weight but not super comfy in my own skin.

Silver lining?? Have a look.


Yep it says I have achieved my goal but it took 28 months not 28 days people. That's rather disheartening. Eleven pounds that took over two years? If I was marketing that shit no one would buy it. I mean I know they say the last five pounds are the hardest but come on. 

If these are my golden years I was feeling like I got given fool's gold.

7 pounds ago I was in a pit. I'd all but given up on what or how to eat and was working on being "fine" with the way I was. Nothing wrong with that, it just isn't like me to give up. I was going to be "just over" for the rest of my life. 

Luckily for me I have magic people surrounding me. People whom I love, respect, admire and adore. One such magical woman is a fantastically amazing beautiful British woman named Sophie. You will want to know her too. She is so genuine and warm and generous and I'm sorry Soph, I'm gonna say it - THIN! I don't like her because she is thin, I like her because of who she is and she just happens to be thin. I'd show you a picture of her if I didn't think she'd murder me and also if she didn't have copious amounts of dirt on me lol.

Anyway, this one fine day we were messaging back and forth and in my pudgey pity party I said, how do you do it? You're almost as old as me (not really but she's more than 30 so close enough by my calculations) and her answer was simple. She said she eats clean.

Well what in the fuck and God's good name does that even mean?!?

I've read Tosca Reno's book, (told you I've read them all) I've heard all about clean eating but it's so vast how the heck do you narrow it down? My friend Janice even came up with a brilliant cook book called Easy Tasty Clean that was fantastic and brilliant (and Janice I love you!) and still I could not get the weight off. 

So Sophie was good enough to outline an average day/week of eating and I thought it sounded reasonable, but it was like sooooooo simple. How could it be so simple? The diet industry makes bazillions of gazzillions of dollars off diets...

She followed the plan outlined by Dr. Alejandro Junger, M.D. in his book Clean. I know you know it. I knew it; it had been on my shelf for years because someone at some point had recommended it. I'm sure that I may have even recommended it to you my brilliant readers, but I'd never really taken it in. Sure I'd skimmed it, tried it for a few days but detox -schmeetox, you've done one you've done them all and I was so much more about the pre-tox part where you load up on chips and candy, chocolate and cake just so you have a store-house of sweet memories to get you through the  famine. I could not wrap my head around it.

But something got the better of me. My health. I was coming off a nine-day migraine. Hear me! Nine days. I had black outs, vomiting, my body was basically holding me hostage. Earlier this year I suffered from a kidney infection that led to a heart infection (no laughing matter) and most of the time I was so exhausted I could barely drag my ass out of bed so you can imagine I wasn't exactly the dream team on the mat. I was phoning it in. I felt rotten just generally. Something had to give.

So I thought screw it, it can't get much worse and Dr. Junger says I only have to give him three weeks, 21 piddly little days. I gave Tracy 30 I suppose I could hand over 21 more to a respected doctor - I mean Jeez the migraine had me for 9. Did I want to go through that every month?

I got out my trusty little journal and I filled out the questionnaire. Damn if I didn't answer yes to nearly every question. Yes I get lots of headaches, bad ones. Viruses, check. Bloated after meals, check. Puffy eyes and face, check. You mean that wasn't just an inevitable sign of old age?? Check check and check to dark circles, bad breathe and sugar cravings. Was this guy inside my head or what? I wrote it all down followed by day one - took my weight, my measurements and my photo. Gross. You'll never see that one sorry. But here is my trusty journal, isn't she so cute??



I was honest and I kept track every day for 21 days. I won't go into details of the book because this post is long as it is, but trust me you'll want to read the it. The plan was dead simple to follow just as Sophie promised me it would be. You get a smoothie for breakfast, a good healthy solid lunch, and a soup or smoothie for dinner. Then you wait a full 12 hours or more before starting up again the next day. I thought I would starve to death. I didn't fancy the idea of cooking every day. Plus there were things I didn't want to give up. I lived on banana smoothies, no bananas? Eggs where my go to protein and they were not allowed? No peanut butter, what? Tomatoes were off the list too? No dairy, no caffeine, no sugar, no gluten? What? WHAT?!? Was this some sort of Gwyneth Paltrow diet? Why yes it was. Check out the intro to her cookbook "It's All Good" and you'll see it there in black and white. I'd read this before how had it not sunk in?

What in the world was I going to eat. I sure as hell wasn't going to eat chilled cucumber soup with dill, I don't care how hungry I got. This wasn't going to work. I'd forgotten the Shamandments. Number one, be Shannon. I was not now nor was I ever going to be Gwyneth. And Shamandment number 13, make it your own. If I was going to give this my all, I was gonna make it my bitch. I was gonna own it. I suspended my distaste for weird smoothies and just gave in to what Junger suggested and the result, while not always delicious or my favorite, was colorful and kept me full through to lunch. Check out the pretty rainbow of smoothies.



Can you tell the ones with blueberries and raspberries are my fave? Look how full it is. I never did try to have juice, it just doesn't fill me up. I've got to have protein and while I did have to give up my PB, I gained almond butter and sunflower seed butter and I added such lovely things as dates. Junger suggests sweetening with Brown Rice Syrup, which during that first 21 days I did, but just prefer the wholeness and flavor of a good medjool date.

Lunch was trickier. I made a lot of quinoa and just added a variety of veggies which most days ended up looking a little like this.



Huge fan of micro-greens so have them every day. Sometimes sunflower sprouts, some days kale, arugula, or radish sprouts. Whatever I can get my hands on. But a kid can only take so much quinoa.

It was time to make a change. I did something I swore never to do. Ever. Like never ever. I made fish. I'm so sorry beautiful salmon. I love you swimming freely in the sea, but you absolutely sustain me. I began steaming it and alternating it with the quinoa. It is amazing. I feel sad because I hate the fact that something has to die to keep me alive - but no more headaches? Energy getting out of bed and on the mat? I had to accept that perhaps my diet really had been lacking.


Sometimes I'd make just a simple salad, other times I'd steam some beets or cauliflower, but always lunch stayed super simple.


Nothing fancy here. I'd gotten into the habit of steaming up three pieces of salmon at once so that was three lunches taken care of. Then I'd do a couple of cups of quinoa and that would be lunch for the rest of the week, just rotating fresh veg. It got me in and out of the kitchen very quickly.

But dinner was going to be the tricky part. There was no way I was drinking juice or making some gross cold soup from the book so I had to deviate, but was always careful to stay away from no no ingredients.

I'd whip up a soup out of things I had on hand or picked up just for that. Leeks, onion, garlic, with a little cauliflower and zucchini, throw in veggie stock, cook for a half hour then blend and voila, liquid lunch ( or in this case dinner )



This was soup pre-blender. 

I'd make enough for 4 or five days or even enough to freeze some. This was Sophie's best advice. Plan and prepare so that through the weeks you have no excuse. (Love you girl) Still life gets busy and I couldn't always make homemade soup, so yes I did have a smoothie a few times at night, but never felt as good the next day as when I had a hot soup. I started picking up soups from the Sunflower Kitchen. Ready made, whole ingredient soups, with nothing contraband in them. They worked a treat.

This is one of my faves, Egyptian Lentil, yummy.


I was also never going to give up chocolate or Starbucks, lets be honest here. But I kept these things on with restrictions. Starbucks was not allowed more than three times a week and no dairy - luckily Starbucks now offers coconut milk and it's so good in my mocha I'll never go back to dairy. Sweet! As for chocolate? Green & Blacks is the only thing I will allow and it has to be dark. No exceptions.

Here is what is so interesting about this. Once you cut out all the crap, stuff like filler carbs (bread, pasta, white rice etc), remove the stuff that was causing inflammation (gluten, dairy, caffeine, sugar) you get off the roller-coaster ride of all that insulin and other hormonal stuff that I am not educated enough to explain here, and dark chocolate, the thing that was once a very dangerous gate-way drug to every other sugar-binge-worthy goody, simply becomes a small treat that you can have a few bites of and leave alone. Are you kidding me right now? I have control? I never assume that I am in control where sugar is concerned, but I find it manageable. Since tackling this way of eating three months ago (August 11th to be exact) I have not eaten a whole bar in a single day. Prior to Clean? I could eat two or three bars and be looking for what was next. No wonder I had excess weight, I'm only shocked I wasn't the size of an RV!

Sophie and I then convinced our Third Musketeer Natalia to give it a go. Now I am not certain what she is doing now that her 21 days are over, but during the course of her Clean experiment she lost around 7 pounds too and was feeling pretty damned good and dare I say proud of herself for having gained some control. Way to go girl!

So how is Clean different than anything else? I lost the other half of the post-meta regain which was super awesome but it wasn't exactly the first time I'd done that and regained it again! (yeah that was a confession a long time coming) I retook the questionnaire and nearly every question I had answered yes to only three weeks prior was getting a no answer. Did I have a cold or feel flu-like at all? Nope? Puffy face? Nah uh. Headaches, nope. I was still really super tired though. So what to do now that the 21 days were over.

Here's the lesson, the rub, the difference with Clean and other diets. This sort of became a way to eat that was no longer about losing weight. I will say it again, it was no longer about losing weight. You see when you go on a diet to lose weight or with weight-loss as your only goal, you will lose the weight if you stick to said diet whatever it may be. But once you reach your goal and go back to your old ways, the weight comes back. If you do something as extreme as Live Streaming or you run marathons or some other form of intense exercise, you might keep some or most of that weight off, but diet plays a huge role in our weight especially as we age.

I wanted to stick with Dr. Junger's plan for a variety of reasons that no longer had to do with my weight. I felt better, nay I felt good eating this way so I stuck with it (with modifications of course) And to my great delight my arthritic hands ached less in the morning, I was almost never bloated unless I strayed into a bag of potato chips or a fried breakfast.... What! It happens. And my headaches are fewer and farther between and have more to do with that time of the month than anything else. Plus I feel lighter mentally.

I have introduced a few things back into my diet - I'll take milk in my tea and that's a daily ritual. I've had eggs but they gave me serious gas so I avoid them. I tried bread but it no longer has power over me. Even pizza! I just don't seem to want that stuff anymore. Did I drink the kool-aide or swallow some magic pill? Perhaps. But I really enjoy lentil stew and feel good about nourishing myself with whole organic good-for-me meals.

I feel balanced.

Will I stay this way forever? I doubt it. Wagons were meant to be jumped off. But I wrote this post as much for me as I did for you. Want to know why?  Because it took two long years to get those 11 pounds off, much much longer to find a healthy control over food, and because once I saw that wonderful congrats on my Lose it App, I took a day to just eat whatever I wanted. Not only did I wake up feeling crappy, but I gained three and a half pounds. Over night! It took 28 months to get off 11 and I gained 3 1/2 over night? So not fair. But I know how to get it off and I feel good.

Plus I know this is realistic. I can do it anywhere even on the road. I might not carry my vitamix with me everywhere I go, but chances are I can grab a healthy smoothie - like this baby from the Juice Press in Soho. I love that!

 
Thank you Sophie and thank you Dr. Junger! I finally have mental freedom from cravings and food madness.

I want you to feel good too. Just throwing terms like "clean eating" or elimination diet around mean nothing unless you have tools that are accessible and shit you can incorporate into your day to day life. Trust me, I tried "The Plan" by Lyn Genet and that lasted a day because she had all these very fussy recipes and weird ingredients that I would never use nor have time to prep. Life is short, I want to enjoy it by eating yummy things that don't take hours to make and I want to have chocolate and fit into my skinny jeans.

I am a "have my cake and eat it too" kinda woman. (I guess in this case it's have my Green & Blacks and eat it too.)

If you've made it all the way to the end of this post I commend you. It is now after midnight, so technically no longer Tuesday or a super full moon. Whew. No wonder I took so long to share this, it was a lot. Thanks for hanging in there. I look forward to more of these chats. And I want to hear how you're doing. Did you try Clean? Are you managing your cravings? How're you feeling? Lemme know, I want to hear from you always.

Loads of love and giant hugs.
xo
Shan


 




 

30 comments:

  1. Ok, I need to add something here... When Sophie started talking about Clean I was so skeptical, only because I didn't think smoothies in the morning were my thing. I was toast and peanut butter kind of girl and a big coffee with lactose free 0% milk. As Shannon started doing her cleanse, every morning I looked at my breakfast and thought there is no way I can change this... No way... One day Shan you posted a photo of yourself after a workout, you had been two weeks into your cleanse and I could see that your face looked amazing. It was as if you had had really good, really amazing very well done plastic surgery. Not that you needed much plastic surgery, but your face looked rested, no bags under your eyes... there was a glow I could not get over that glow. Sophie has that glow like forever, but I thought it was because she's five years younger than me. So that day I took a picture of myself with the girls and I kid you not I looked old, tired, and... lifeless if you know what I mean..So that was it, I selected a date when I knew I'd be at home with my home appliances (blender, food processor) and my local organic shop (where everybody knows my name) and started Clean. It took a few days with the smoothies but Sophie and you gave me great recipes and I'm hooked. I lost the weight, and even though I'm not on it, I have kept the weight off, I feel I look much younger ... I still have a smoothie in the morning, specially monday to friday. On weekends I have a gluten free, sugar free muffin and I have wine once a week. I still have the clean lunch and soup and protein for dinner... Yes, dark chocolate comes after but very little amount. I like you could go through an entire bar and more no problem.... So thank you, thank you Sophie!!! and thank you Shan for being my other health guru!! I feel so privileged to be yours and Sophie's friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my darling friend, I love you so much. I still have bags under my eyes, but thank you. I never thought I could let go of my fried breakfast either, it was my happy place. Now I can't wait to get to my blender to see what I can concoct each day.
      It's a great way to live too, I mean after the cleanse don't you think? Wine on weekends rather than every night. Some little things we love like chocolate but overall there is just this sense of control. Of balance of it being the right things for our bodies.

      Delete
  2. This is interesting! I'm so happy for you Shan! I. Glad you're feeling healthy! It's funny I wanted to do 1 healthy change to my diet and I decided to do a green smoothie..I found a delicious cherry pie smoothie with no additional sweetener or bananas. Freaking bananas!
    So if you want the recipe holla at me!
    I may need to look at this. I have all kinds of joint pain. Tendonitis in both knees. I thought it was over-use injuries from TA especially kneeling for 40 minutes straight. It still could be but hmmmmm.

    I'm so glad you found something that doesn't make you crazy and I love that you made it your own!

    As for something new, I'm doing something way out of my comfort zone starting next month. God called (I think) and I answered so I could take all the positive vibes you got!

    Love you!
    P.s. You look beautiful in that picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gia,
      So here is something very interesting. Yesterday I saw this amazing looking Mediterranean yogurt with caramel and I was like mmmmm I am going to try that. Now I am a dairy lover - love milk in my tea, loads of butter on mashed potatoes and of course ice cream, but since clean, I am down to just milk in the tea.
      But since I don't say NEVER to things (learned my lesson with the fish) I got some yogurt and had a tiny amount last night. Less than a 1/3 cup as a treat. It was so freaking good.
      This morning I woke up so stiff and sort in my joints I felt 80 years old.
      I'm not saying dairy affects everyone this way or that gluten does or what ever. What I am saying is that before I'd eliminated all these things I just felt shitty.
      Now as I try them on occasion as I did last night I know what I can handle. I can eat bread I discovered to no ill effect - but eggs which were a major staple in my diet - I struggle to digest them and get bad bloating and gas. Who knew?
      It's like a self experiment and I'm better off knowing what's good for ME and what isn't.

      Dying to know what you are starting next month!! Can you share or is it too private. God called? I love that. My sister in law is a a priest in England, are you taking vows? Should I stop asking?
      Mwah mwah mwah - only good things girl.

      Delete
    2. Really!?! That is so cool about your sister in law! LOL no vows being taken. I'm going to be the new Bible Study teacher for the 4/5 yr old kids. it's a large interdenominational study for women only.. Yes, we want to get them started on a relationship with God, but the biggest thing is that it will allow their moms to go attend a class and be filled spiritually. Plus they can hang out with other other women and share. The women are so supportive, non-judge mental and kind.
      It's big for me because I normally don't put myself out there but it's time I started to give back.

      I like how you put this down to an experiment. I'm so happy you're getting relief! It's seems like a sane approach too!
      Xoxo to you too

      Delete
    3. Hey Gia,
      there is a great tag on instagram that is #girls4girls, I think Morgen Schick came up with it but it's about women supporting one another and it sounds like you've found a great group. Good for you! I love that you're choosing this new adventure, following where the spirit leads. Do that and you'll never go wrong.
      big hugs.

      Delete
  3. Shan - long time no talk! It is so wonderful to read this post, wonderful to know about the amazing recent experience with TA and also just heart warming and inspirational to know that you are in such a good place. I love ya tons and I miss you. AND I watched Empire of Dirt (sorry it took so long) and it was truly exceptional. So even though I haven't been "around" here - I've been keeping track of you and your goings-on. :) Thank you for talking the time to write this post - lots to think about here! And you look STUNNING in that picture! xoxo Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DONNA!!!!!
      How are you? How's your knee?
      You watched Empire? Oh my goodness I want to cry. Thank you. Thank you for taking the time to see it and to come here and read my ravings.
      I miss you too.

      Delete
  4. Shan! I'm SO pleased for you, I know the constant struggle with the sugar you've had for, well, ever! BUT, I don't think you're even giving yourself enough credit in this post - you thanked Sophie and Dr. Junger more than once, but guess what? YOU did this! So well done you. I don't believe it was necessarily this diet in particular that sorted you out - you've known all this stuff for years - I think it was just the right time for you. The time to change came because of the unbearable headache situation. You had no choice, you had to do it for your health. Ok, I know you'll probably say you couldn't have done it without support from Sophie and that's probably true, but give yourself another pat on the back, you have done what you thought was the impossible.

    And so to the book - I gave in - it's winging its way to my house for tomorrow ;-) I'd always been slightly put off by the book as it sounded like another crazy detox, another book telling me to cut out all the naughty stuff, and I already have a bookcase full of those lol. But I downloaded the kindle sample and the story on the first page got me - the guy who didn't drink alcohol and didn't eat too much bad stuff but yet his liver was still complaining and holding fat and toxins - it was like he was speaking to me. So, the book is on its way but from your post I already know what meals I will be eating and they look and sound great. The last couple of days I've been having smoothies with greens powder added and I tell you today I leapt out of bed feeling ah-mazing, so I firmly believe in the power of nature to heal, lift and breathe new life into us. But now to cut out the crap again and stick to all-natural foods. And dark chocolate of course.

    Thank you for this amazing post, I'm sure again you'll inspire lots of people to take their health into their own hands and lose the weight on the way too. I'll let you know how I go. You should post a link to this on Dr Junger's page, let him see your results too :-)

    Wasn't someone on this page a writer for his Clean Eats book? Maybe they have a direct line to him lol.
    Love you! Stay healthy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and I agree, you're glowing in your new pic up there ^
      x

      Delete
    2. Janice, you are going to love it!!! It's so doable and the things you think you'll miss the most you end up not missing at all!! X

      Delete
    3. Oh Janice,
      How I miss you. Miss our chats sorry I have been on a different track since the move, but I'm getting back to normal or finding my new normal.
      Yes. I suppose you are right I did put in the effort to do the cleanse, but like you over the years as this book was suggested to me I was like no more cleanses, no more detoxes, no more juicing - I had had enough.
      Strangely when I finally surrendered at Sophie's urging, I found it wasn't a detox or diet at all.
      You know when you cleanse you get all flu like? That didn't happen. I was exhausted yes, but not sickly. I think it's because you are supporting your body with great nutrition rather than depriving it.
      Or maybe it's because I never gave up my tea or Starbucks completely.
      I am so happy that you are getting the book. There is a girl on IG - Sue10886, I think you two should connect. She is going to start Clean too.
      I could not have gotten through without the support of Sophie and later of Natalia.
      Even tho we didn't do it at the same time we did it together sort of -
      I want to give you that support and Sue too, so I will join you guys together on IG - without your permission of course - lol.
      Love you loads.

      Delete
    4. I also agree with Natalia, the things you think you'll miss? You really don't. Of course I did keep my tea and dark choc tho so I may be speaking out of turn.
      What the hell, I made it my own and the headaches and pain still went away. It's all good.

      Delete
    5. You're right about traditional cleanses, those ones where it's about cutting back rather than adding in, they're not for me either. As you know, I love food and I love good, nutritious food, so any cleanse doesn't really do ti for me. I do however love the feeling of eating loads of really nutrition-packed foods and I don't have a problem at all doing that. But like you, i would find it very hard to cut out dark chocolate, but I'm glad to hear you managed to do this AND keep the choc ;-)

      I would love to connect with Sue, I'll logon to my personal Instagram tomorrow and if you could point us together that would be great.

      The book arrived today, I went straight to page 117 - the Cleanse, to see what is involved. But, work got in the way so I'm still on the same page lol. I did have a beautiful smoothie for breakfast, the last wrap and some freshly made butternut squash soup for lunch (lovely and filling!) and am going to get a smoothie tonight too. Nothing like jumping in feet first. Oh I had chocolate too ha ha.

      We must keep in touch more, I know you're busy with your work and getting sorted in your new city etc but I'd love to chat more again! Don't be a stranger, I always have time for you x

      Delete
    6. Amazing! I think you're going to love it and I am going to be here right along with you and you know our girls Sophie and Natalia are in the same corner with us all the way! Go team clean.

      Delete
  5. So proud of and happy for you Shan!

    I was also a Beachbody girl before Tracy (truth be told, I still rock some Insanity/Asylum when I'm too tired to dance for my cardio....). I taught yoga/dance for about 15 years, and I swear the number of teachers who went on that maple syrup, cayenne thing was off the chain. It always blew my mind. I had totally forgotten that craze until you mentioned it. As a former, how shall I say, "husky" kid, I've sort of always had to be mindful about what I ate...and luckily was introduced to clean eating and cooking as a teen, which was lucky, I guess. Maybe it didn't feel so lucky at the time when all the skinny girls were pounding Big Macs and fries every day. Ah, college. ;)

    I swear, on one of your posts ages ago were you were just generally dissatisfied with your results I almost squealed out "try It's All Good", but, to me, giving advice on diets is a danger-danger-Will-Robinson venture. But I do TOTALLY love it, and it was really tasty (my husband even liked it...and that's a gold star rating). This program seems similar, and I'm so happy you found it (with the help of your friends, and the hard work of yourself). You might dig it for more clean-style recipes. The pumpkin pie smoothie was my jam for months and months.

    Love the new pic too....you look so lovely,
    myla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Myla,
      I cannot imagine you as husky at all! I'm sorry it's just so hard not to picture you and the dog in your overalls, it makes me over the moon happy every time I remember that photo!
      I digress.
      I do have It's all Good. And that's what is so funny. I'd read her intro last year or whenever it was that the book came out and had even highlighted the stuff she said about Junger and Clean, I had Clean on the shelf for years. Perhaps it's like what Janice said, I was ready? Or I needed to hear it from an honest to goodness friend and real person? I dunno.
      But listen, never be afraid to give me advice. I need all the help I can get sister!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the post! I was so laughing out loud about all the books and diets and workouts. Totally my life. I decided by the end of the post I would give Clean and Dr Junger a go. Maybe you could share some of your favorite recipes?
    I am so happy for you that you were able to have a fabulous TA experience. Dying to hear more about it! Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura,
      I know it's totally ridiculous how many books we've read right? And they all conflict! No grains they are the enemy, one cannot live without grains, must eat meat meat meat - never eat meat it will create acid in the body and therefore disease. Fat is bad it's calories in calories out - no you need fat it will keep you satisfied.
      No sugar ever - one needs sugar now and then or one might binge.
      It's too much.
      Clean just makes sense and I guess I was ready.
      As far as recipes - there were not too many that I relied upon other than smoothie ones. My lunch as you can see above requires no recipe and dinner was just soup - I didn't obey the rules on dinner - I had lentil soup, or veggie soup, or Moroccan chick pea, I kind of ran the gamut with the only rule being soup could not contain contraband foods - like tomato or potato etc and on rare evenings I did a smoothie but not so often.

      But as for fave smoothies (I made adjustments of course lol) but the Mango Coconut shake, Blueberry carob shake, Energy Shake and Berry shake with coconut milk and cinnamon were and are still my faves. But my energy shake I always used almond milk instead of water - water seemed weird to me.

      Hope this helps and good luck - as I said to Janice - IG me or message me if you start and are having a hard time going - happy to help or do connect with Janice - look at me offering her up all over the place. Lol Janice I love you. she is at janicecumberlidge on IG and connect with sue10886
      also please tell me your IG name so I can keep up with you if you're there too okay? Or if I already do, tell me your handle so I know it's you!

      Delete
    2. Hey Laura, I'm glad Shan is offering my services out randomly lololol. No it'd be lovely to connect with you and Sue, I've made a start going Clean and it'd be nice to have a couple of clean buddies to share with :-) I hope you look me up on IG x

      Delete
    3. Shan And Janice,
      I am on IG, but not much. I'm somewhat challenged in the tech field, embarrassingly. Will make an effort to follow you both and Sue.My IG name is Lkbrnc.I can use all the help I can get. :) Laura

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Oh my goodness oh my goodness, Tricia!!!
      My lovely Tricia, how are you!??

      Delete
  8. Hello, Hello,
    Sorry I'm late!

    Shan knows that my work life balance at the moment is errr a little OFF balance!

    Its very generous of you Shan - to offer thanks to me, but I think Janice hit the nail on the head, when she said that its YOU who made this happen!

    I'm not really sure what else I can really add to this, as Shan has done a great job of explaining how simple, accessible and effective the Clean program is.
    Before Clean, I was (always have been genetically) slim.
    I did not go into Clean with weight loss as a goal, more that I wanted to release myself from a daily obsession over what I ate.
    That is not to say that weight loss isn't a side effect of doing the Clean, but - and this is just my personal opinion, the true reason for that weight loss, is not solely down to a reduction of calories. Its much, much more.
    Its the fact that for once we force ourselves to really bring our appetite for food and NOURISHMENT into focus. For me, it made me stop. Stop for a few nano seconds and ask myself 'am I really hungry'? Or am I tired, bored, stressed, pissed off etc etc. More often than not, by the time I had gotten to the resolution of that thought, the so called 'hunger' would be forgotten.
    This is where long lasting, true, and healthy food balance comes from.
    Not from deprivation, or starvation, but by being mindful.
    Add to that thought pattern, organic, anti inflammatory, soulful food. As well as a few selected supplements, and its a winning combo.

    I am feeling pretty crappy at the moment, since my job is all consuming and my health always seems to take a hit. BUT its so reassuring to know that I have the proven tool kit to reset myself in a few weeks time.

    Honestly, I cannot recommend the Clean program enough, plus the online support system they have is incredible. The wellness coaches are available anytime, and its completely free! Just register online when you plan to start and not only will you be able to access coaches, share online forums and recipes, but every day you receive an email expelling what is happening in your body during every stage of the 21 days.

    The key is to make it work for you, keep it simple.
    If you only learn 2 or 3 smoothie recipes, and 2 or 3 main meals, and they are doable for you, great. No one says you have to become a super chef, as long as you stick within the approved food list, thats it ! You are doing the program, and you will see the incredible results.

    Well done Shan and Natalia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so amazing Sophie and so helpful. Yes, the reminder of the online support (my bad) Sophie do you remember the link? I think if you just look for Junger and Clean the site will likely come up.
      I have never used the coach or the online stuff because I am a Luddite and I wanted to stick to my very few simple recipes and because well obviously my coach was Sophie - he he he thanks my darling I hope I wasn't too high maintenance for you!
      But she swears by the helpfulness of it all.
      What I did love was the videos posted on youtube of the three weeks broken down so check those out too.
      Thanks for chiming in my friend, loved the reminders.

      Delete
  9. Yes! shannon, yes! I am so proud of you. You needed that protein. I can't believe we didn't talk migraines earlier...your body needs that fish. And it's ok. So proud of you. Thank you got inspiring me sgsin. Love you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, I am glad you're inspired. I still feel guilty eating fish, but I feel sadly so much better for it.
      You'd better believe that I thank that poor Salmon or tuna daily.

      Delete
  10. Hey Shannon

    I really want to try the clean program and for the most part I try to eat as clean as I can now. My biggest issue is caffeine. After I read the beauty detox solution (Kimberly Snyder), I gave up coffee for 3 weeks. In that time, I felt so tired. I started drinking one cup in the morning and felt better. My biggest issue now is my thyroid. I've recently been diagnosed with hypothyroid and it's dragging me down. I've been on meds but so far they haven't worked. I know you mentioned you would have coffee 3 times a week. I was wondering if you increased your coffee or caffeine intake and if so, how has that affected you? Yes I've gained weight since my dx, and have not exercised bc I'm so tired all the time. I'm hoping if I go completely clean that can kick start my system and I can get back to exercising and feeling better. I love the blog, info, and inspiration you put out there for us. Any advice would help.

    Thanks!!!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Karen,
      No. I try to stick to decaf and tea, I know that there is caffeine in tea and even in decaf coffee but I try to avoid it. I am not sure what you are taking for your thyroid, but I take a daily supplement called ThyroSmart and it has drastically changed my life. I feel much more awake, my energy levels do dip from time to time if I eat a carb heavy meal or something, but it's night and day. I find now if I run out or I miss a day, by 3pm I can't keep my eyes open. Maybe it's something you want to look into? I am of course not qualified in any way to recommend it to you, but you can have a look online or ask a natural practitioner.
      Hope you feel better.

      Delete
  11. Hey Shannon

    Thank you. I read about Thyrosmart online and will check with my Endocronologist. Thanks for your help!!!

    ReplyDelete